Coal Gasifier - Thermodynamics Question

In summary, my professor is incredibly difficult to get a straight, understandable answer from and we didn't learn about coal gasifiers in thermodynamics.
Rett

Homework Statement

The problem is in the attached picture. I simply do not know what an "equilibrium equation" is and what it means by the composition. My professor is unbelievably difficult to get a straight, understandable answer from. I've already taken thermodynamics, but we did not learn about coal gasifiers.

IMG_3386.JPG

Homework Equations

k = (ycc * ydd) / (yaa * ybb) when P = Patm

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the boxed in equations are the answers to part (a), the "independent reaction equations" and there would be 2 of them.
My teacher made it sound like these were also the "equilibrium equations" as the answer for part (b), but then where would the "composition" come from?

I believe that the equilibrium equation would be something like this:
(y/2) O2 + (y) C + x H2O --> aCH4 + bH2 + cH2O + dCO + eCO2
And then the composition would be the coefficients, but my teacher made me believe that this was incorrect.

Can someone give an example of what an "equilibrium equation" is? I know there is something called the "equilibrium constant", which he gave us a handout to find values for, but I have no clue how to use it.
Then I will attempt to solve for the equilibrium equation and the composition of this one and then check back in.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Come on, you took thermodynamics and you don't know what the reaction and equilibrium is?

You have a mixture components of which undergo several reactions, when the mixture leaves the gasifier all reactions are at equilibrium. This is not different from any other chemical system.

You have two reaction equations written in pencil - what are they?

Borek said:
Come on, you took thermodynamics and you don't know what the reaction and equilibrium is?

You have a mixture components of which undergo several reactions, when the mixture leaves the gasifier all reactions are at equilibrium. This is not different from any other chemical system.

You have two reaction equations written in pencil - what are they?
The equations are:
CO + H2O = CO2 + H2
CO + 3H2 = H2O + CH4

I took thermo, I didn't say I was very good at it though. I'm confused about how to solve for the composition from the equilibrium equations and from the input of O2, H2O and C to the output of CH4, H2, H2O, CO, and CO2.

Rett said:
The equations are:
CO + H2O = CO2 + H2
CO + 3H2 = H2O + CH4

No problem with reading them, I asked what they are - why are they included? (hint: they are quite useful here).

Have you heard about mass balance? Or at least about mass conservation?

Take as a basis 1 kmol of C fed to the reactor. Based on the problem statement, how many kmol of C atom, O atom, and H atom are fed to the reactor?Let a, b,c,d, and e represent, respectively, the corresponding number of kmols of CH4, H2, H2O, CO, and CO2 in the product. In terms of a, b,c,d, e, and x, write a steady state mass balance on the reactor for C atom, O atom, and H atom. What do you get so far?

Chet

1. What is a coal gasifier?

A coal gasifier is a device that converts solid coal into a gas that can be used for energy production. It uses a process called gasification, which involves heating coal in a low-oxygen environment to break it down into a mixture of gases, including hydrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane.

2. How does a coal gasifier work?

A coal gasifier works by heating coal to temperatures above 700 degrees Celsius in a low-oxygen environment. This process, known as gasification, breaks down the coal into a mixture of gases. The gas is then cleaned and can be used as a fuel for electricity generation or other industrial processes.

3. What are the advantages of using a coal gasifier?

Using a coal gasifier offers several advantages over traditional coal combustion. It produces a cleaner-burning fuel, with lower emissions of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter. It also allows for the use of coal that is of lower quality or has a higher moisture content, making it a more efficient and cost-effective method of energy production.

4. What are the potential environmental impacts of a coal gasifier?

While a coal gasifier produces fewer emissions than traditional coal combustion, it still has potential environmental impacts. The process of gasification produces carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas that contributes to climate change. There are also concerns about the disposal of the byproducts of gasification, such as ash and tar, which can contain toxic substances.

5. Is a coal gasifier a renewable energy source?

No, a coal gasifier is not considered a renewable energy source. While it does produce fewer emissions than traditional coal combustion, it still relies on the use of fossil fuels. Additionally, the production of coal gas requires a significant amount of energy, making it a less sustainable option compared to truly renewable energy sources like wind or solar power.