Coefficients that make Gaussian elimination impossible?

In summary, Gaussian elimination is a method used to solve systems of linear equations by transforming them into simpler forms. However, there are certain coefficients that can make Gaussian elimination impossible, such as having a zero coefficient for a variable in a row, resulting in a contradictory or inconsistent system. Additionally, having a zero coefficient for a variable in all rows after a certain point can also make Gaussian elimination impossible. These coefficients can make it difficult or impossible to find a unique solution using Gaussian elimination.
Mohamed Abdul

Homework Statement

Given this matrix:
gHsXkQF.jpg

I am asked to find values of the coefficient of the second value of the third row that would make it impossible to proceed and make elimination break down.

Homework Equations

Gaussian elimination methods I used given here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GaussianElimination.html

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to write the original matrix in its reduced echelon form; however I'm having trouble finding the value that would make elimination impossible, even when interchanging rows. I've tried zero, but that didn't help me at all.

Attachments

• gHsXkQF.jpg
    gHsXkQF.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,264
Physics news on Phys.org
Mentor note: Thread moved from Intro Physics to Precalc Math
Mohamed Abdul said:

Homework Statement

Given this matrix:
View attachment 214753
I am asked to find values of the coefficient of the second value of the third row that would make it impossible to proceed and make elimination break down.

Homework Equations

Gaussian elimination methods I used given here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GaussianElimination.html

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to write the original matrix in its reduced echelon form; however I'm having trouble finding the value that would make elimination impossible, even when interchanging rows. I've tried zero, but that didn't help me at all.
There are three possible things that could happen with a system of equations:
  1. The system has a unique solution.
  2. The system has an infinite number of solutions.
  3. The system has no solutions at all.
What they are asking, is how could the 2nd entry of the third row be changed so that the system has no solutions? In the image you posted, it looks like you changed the 3rd entry of the second row, not the 2nd entry of the third row.

Mark44 said:
Mentor note: Thread moved from Intro Physics to Precalc Math

There are three possible things that could happen with a system of equations:
  1. The system has a unique solution.
  2. The system has an infinite number of solutions.
  3. The system has no solutions at all.
What they are asking, is how could the 2nd entry of the third row be changed so that the system has no solutions? In the image you posted, it looks like you changed the 3rd entry of the second row, not the 2nd entry of the third row.
I didn't mean to change any values, I just copied it down wrong and had to erase my original number.
As for finding if there are no solutions, is there any method or trick to go about doing that? Or do I have to brute force through the equations picking numbers until I find the one that works?

Mohamed Abdul said:
The "-1"?

You can replace it by a variable and proceed until you divide by something involving this variable, then you can choose it to make the denominator zero, breaking the process.
Alternatively, have a look at row 1 and 3. The rightmost entry is different. What happens if all three entries on the left are the same?

mfb said:
The "-1"?

You can replace it by a variable and proceed until you divide by something involving this variable, then you can choose it to make the denominator zero, breaking the process.
Alternatively, have a look at row 1 and 3. The rightmost entry is different. What happens if all three entries on the left are the same?
Yes, I am trying to replace the -1. Also, regarding what you said, I noticed that if I change the -1 to a 1, that makes two same equations that equal to separate values, -2 and -1. Does this count as inconsistency that would break down the system? It definitely doesn't make sense to have two of the same exact equations to be equal to different numbers, after all.

Right.
To show that formally you can also subtract the two equations and then you are left with 0=1.

1. What is Gaussian elimination?

Gaussian elimination is a method used to solve systems of linear equations by manipulating the coefficients in a matrix. It involves using row operations to reduce the matrix to its simplest form, making it easier to find the solution.

2. What are the coefficients that can make Gaussian elimination impossible?

Coefficients that can make Gaussian elimination impossible include having a row of all zeros, resulting in an infinite number of solutions, or having a row with all but the last term equal to zero, leading to a system with no solution.

3. How do these coefficients affect the solution to the system of equations?

If the coefficients make Gaussian elimination impossible, the system of equations will have either no solution or an infinite number of solutions. This makes it impossible to find a unique solution to the system.

4. Are there any other methods that can be used to solve systems of equations with these coefficients?

Yes, there are other methods such as Cramer's rule or matrix inversion that can be used to solve systems of equations with these coefficients. However, these methods may be more complex and time-consuming compared to Gaussian elimination.

5. How can I avoid encountering coefficients that make Gaussian elimination impossible?

To avoid encountering coefficients that make Gaussian elimination impossible, it is important to check the matrix for any potential issues before applying the method. This includes looking for rows of all zeros or rows with all but the last term equal to zero. Additionally, using other methods such as Cramer's rule can also help in these situations.