Cohomology = invariant forms

In summary, the result being discussed is that for a compact Lie group G with a closed subgroup H, the space of G-invariant differential forms on the quotient space X = G/H is isomorphic to the de Rham cohomology space of X. The suggested proof strategy involves showing that G-invariant forms are closed and coclosed, and using Hodge theory to prove that each cohomology class has a unique harmonic representative. While this may not be an elementary proof, it could possibly be simplified by considering the problem as a fibre bundle and using the Kunneth formula.
neworder1
Prove the following result:

let [tex]G[/tex] be a compact Lie group, [tex]H[/tex] its closed subgroup and [tex]X = G/H[/tex]. Let [tex]T(X)[/tex] denote the space of [tex]G[/tex]-invariant differential forms on [tex]X[/tex] (e.g. [tex]\omega \in T(X) \Leftrightarrow \forall g \in G g^{*}\omega = \omega[/tex]). Then [tex]T(X)[/tex] is isomorphic to [tex]H^{*}(X)[/tex], de Rham cohomology space of [tex]X[/tex],

Do you know where I can find the proof of this result?

I have been suggested the following proof strategy:
a) if [tex]\omega[/tex] is [tex]G[/tex]-invariant, then d[tex]\omega = 0[/tex]
b) likewise, d[tex]*\omega = 0[/tex] (Hodge star)
c) by Hodge theory, [tex]\omega[/tex] is harmonic, and each cohomology class has exactly one harmonic representant

Unfortuately, this is not an elementary proof. But perhaps at least a) and b) can be proved easily? A concept for proving a): locally, we can find [tex]G[/tex]-invariant coordinates (i.e. a local basis of [tex]G[/tex]-invariant vector fields which span the tangent space) - how to prove this? In these coordinates [tex]\omega[/tex] has constant coefficients (why?), so d[tex]\omega = 0[/tex]. How about d[tex]*\omega[/tex]?

I'd be glad if someone could help with filling in the details.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered looking at it as a fibre bundle and applying the Kunneth formula to it? I must admit that I don't have too much experience with this, but that seems to be the only way to get a quick proof.

1. What is cohomology?

Cohomology is a mathematical concept that measures the topological structure of a space, such as a manifold, by studying the properties of differential forms on that space.

2. What are invariant forms?

Invariant forms are differential forms that remain unchanged under certain transformations, such as rotations or translations. They are important in cohomology because they capture the essential geometric properties of a space.

3. How is cohomology related to invariant forms?

Cohomology is closely related to invariant forms because it studies the properties of these forms and how they behave under different transformations. Invariant forms are used to define cohomology groups, which provide a way to classify topological spaces.

4. What are some applications of cohomology and invariant forms?

Cohomology and invariant forms have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to study the topology of spaces, define new mathematical structures, and solve problems in differential equations and dynamical systems.

5. How does cohomology differ from homology?

Cohomology and homology are two related concepts in algebraic topology. While homology measures the number of holes in a space, cohomology captures the properties of invariant forms on that space. In other words, cohomology is a more refined version of homology, providing additional information about the structure of a space.