Combinatorics: Seating Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability problem involving seating arrangements at a table. The solution involves using a counting argument and assumes that the people are indistinguishable and sit down randomly. The final answer is 1/9, but there is a discussion about how the order of seating does not affect the overall probability.
Master1022
Homework Statement
There are 7 people going to eat lunch at a table with 10 seats, arranged in two rows of 5 (2 x 5 arrangement). 5 people are wearing a red shirt, and the other 2 are wearing a blue shirt. If everyone sits down randomly, what is the probability that the number of people wearing a blue shirt sit across from one another?
Relevant Equations
Combinatorics
Hi,

I found this problem online and I wanted to see whether my solution was going along the correct lines or not?

Question: There are 7 people going to eat lunch at a table with 10 seats, arranged in two rows of 5 (2 x 5 arrangement). 5 people are wearing a red shirt, and the other 2 are wearing a blue shirt. If everyone sits down randomly, what is the probability that the number of people wearing a blue shirt sit across from one another?

Attempt:
I wanted to use a counting argument. Also, I think we assume that the people are indistinguishable from one another.

The total number of ways of them sitting down is ## \begin{pmatrix} 10 \\ 2 \end{pmatrix} \cdot \begin{pmatrix} 8 \\ 5 \end{pmatrix} ##.

Then the number of ways to satisfy the blue shirts sitting across from one another:
$$ = \text{number of locations for blue to sit across from one another} \times \text{number of ways for other 5 red people to sit in 8 remaining seats} $$
$$ = 5 \cdot \begin{pmatrix} 8 \\ 5 \end{pmatrix} $$

Thus the expression becomes:
$$ p = \frac{5 \cdot \begin{pmatrix} 8 \\ 5 \end{pmatrix}}{\begin{pmatrix} 10 \\ 2 \end{pmatrix} \cdot \begin{pmatrix} 8 \\ 5 \end{pmatrix}} = \frac{5}{\begin{pmatrix} 10 \\ 2 \end{pmatrix}} = \frac{1}{9} $$

Does this seem correct? Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine the first blue-shirt sits down. There is one place opposite him/her. The second blue-shirt sits at random and has a 1/9 chance of choosing the seat opposite.

• Informative
Likes pbuk and Master1022
PeroK said:
Imagine the first blue-shirt sits down. There is one place opposite him/her. The second blue-shirt sits at random and has a 1/9 chance of choosing the seat opposite.
The problem states that the people are seated randomly which means that red and blue shirts take seats in no particular sequence. I imagine a single file of non-interacting, randomly mixed red and blue shirts taking seats one at a time. Your solution assumes that the two blue shirts are at the front of the line. DId I miss something?

kuruman said:
DId I miss something?
Yes, you missed that the order sequence of seating is irrelevant because everyone sits down randomly.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
The problem states that the people are seated randomly which means that red and blue shirts take seats in no particular sequence. I imagine a single file of non-interacting, randomly mixed red and blue shirts taking seats one at a time. Your solution assumes that the two blue shirts are at the front of the line. DId I miss something?
The sequence with which people take their seats has no effect on the overall probability of sitting opposite someone else. In each case, every permutation of seating positions is equally likely. For example, let's compare the first and last people to sit down. The first has a choice of 10 seats, which they choose randomly, so they end up in each seat with equal probability. The last has a choice of only 4 seats, but each seat has an equal probability of remaining, so they also end up in each seat with equal probability.

It often simplifies these problems to think of the people you are interested in going first.

Likes kuruman
PeroK said:
It often simplifies these problems to think of the people you are interested in going first.
Thanks for the nicely detailed explanation. Thinking of the person of interest first confused me and I didn't consider that all microstates are equally likely.

1. What is the seating problem in combinatorics?

The seating problem in combinatorics is a problem that involves determining the number of ways in which a group of people can be seated in a row or around a table, given certain conditions and restrictions. It is a common problem in mathematics and has applications in various fields such as probability, statistics, and computer science.

2. What are the factors that affect the number of possible seating arrangements?

The number of possible seating arrangements is affected by the number of people in the group, the number of seats available, and any restrictions or conditions such as gender, relationships, or specific seating preferences. The order in which the people are seated and the direction in which they are facing may also affect the number of arrangements.

3. How do you calculate the number of possible seating arrangements?

The number of possible seating arrangements can be calculated using the formula n!/(n-r)! where n is the number of people and r is the number of seats available. This formula is derived from the concept of permutations, which is the number of ways in which a group of objects can be arranged in a specific order.

4. What is the difference between a circular and a linear seating arrangement?

A circular seating arrangement is one where the seats are arranged in a circle, and each person has an adjacent seat. In a linear seating arrangement, the seats are arranged in a straight line, and there may be empty seats between people. The number of possible arrangements in a circular seating is (n-1)! while in a linear seating it is n!.

5. How is the seating problem related to other concepts in combinatorics?

The seating problem is related to other concepts in combinatorics such as permutations, combinations, and the binomial theorem. It also has connections to other fields such as graph theory, group theory, and probability. Solving the seating problem often involves using principles and techniques from these areas of mathematics.