Combustion of 5kmol Fuel: Theoretical Air Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the theoretical air in kmol needed for the combustion of 5 kmol of a fuel that contains 48.0 mol% ethane (C2H6) and the remainder is propene (C3H6). The correct answer is 95.7 kmol of air, which is obtained by dividing the theoretical O2 required (39.8 kmol) by 0.21 (the fraction of O2 in air) and then dividing by 2 (since 2 moles of ethane require 7 moles of oxygen). The conversation also includes some corrections and clarifications on the equations and percentages used in the calculations.
tweety1234

Homework Statement

A fuel contains 48.0 mol% ethane (C2H6) and the remainder of the fuel is propene (C3H6). Determine the theorectical air in kmol for combustion of 5 kmol of the fuel. Give your answer to an accuracy of one decimal place.

I got 10.2 kmol , is this correct?

the reaction are

C3H8 + 5 O2 ---> 3 CO2 + 4 H2O
2(c2h6) + 7(o2) --> 4(co2) + 6(h2o)

Physics news on Phys.org
No, your answer is too small. How many kmol of O2 are needed, and what fraction of the air is O2?

Just making an observation here. The first reaction is unneeded, namely because C3H8 is not the chemical equation of propene. I thought it was a typo at first, but then I noticed that your equation was balanced out. Once you correct that, try again.

Lame One said:
Just making an observation here. The first reaction is unneeded, namely because C3H8 is not the chemical equation of propene. I thought it was a typo at first, but then I noticed that your equation was balanced out. Once you correct that, try again.

Oh right, thanks for pointing that out so the equations are;

[tex] 2C_{2}H_{6} + 7O_{2} = 4CO_{2} + 6H_{2}O [/tex]

[tex] 2C_{3}H_{6} + 9O_{2} = 6CO_{2} + 6H_{2}O [/tex]

we have 5kmol of the fuel, 48% is [tex] C_{2}H_{6} [/tex] and 52% is [tex] C_{3}H_{6} [/tex]

0.48(5) = 2.4 ethene

0.52(5) = 2.6 propene

so to work out the theoretical air, = [tex] \frac{ Air supplied - theoretical Air}{theoretical air} \times 100 [/tex]

from the stiochemtric of the equations, theoretical O2 required is ; (2.6 x 7) + (2.4 x 9) = 39.8 kmol theoretical O2

multiply this by 0.21 , as air contains 21% O2 79% N2,

39.8 X 0.21 = 8.358 kmolNot sure where to go from here, any hints?

You need to divide by 0.21. Since air is only 21% O2, you need more moles of air to get a certain number of moles of O2. After that, I think you're done.

phyzguy said:
You need to divide by 0.21. Since air is only 21% O2, you need more moles of air to get a certain number of moles of O2. After that, I think you're done.

Thank you, But

If I divide by 0.21 I get 189.5? 39.8 / 0.21 = 189.5

The correct answer is 95.7

Remember that you're taking seven (or nine) molecules of oxygen for every two molecules of ethane (propene).

Also, you're mixing up the percentages of ethane and propene.

Last edited:
Jack the Stri said:
Remember that you're taking seven (or nine) molecules of oxygen for every two molecules of ethane (propene).

Also, you're mixing up the percentages of ethane and propene.

Still don't get the right answer, can you please show me how to do this?

Thanks

Your method is correct, just fill in the correct figures and don't forget to divide by two (because for each mole of e.g. ethane you use 3.5 moles of oxygen, not 7!)

Jack the Stri said:
Your method is correct, just fill in the correct figures and don't forget to divide by two (because for each mole of e.g. ethane you use 3.5 moles of oxygen, not 7!)

Oh right, thanks, that's where I was going wrong,

thanks for your help

You're welcome ^^

1. What is the purpose of calculating the theoretical air for combustion of 5kmol fuel?

The theoretical air calculation is used to determine the exact amount of air needed for complete combustion of 5kmol of fuel. This is important because an excess or insufficient amount of air can affect the efficiency of the combustion process.

2. How is the theoretical air calculated?

The theoretical air calculation involves using the stoichiometric ratio of the fuel and air, which is based on the chemical reaction of the combustion process. This ratio can be found in chemical equations or tables and is dependent on the type of fuel being used.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the theoretical air calculation?

The accuracy of the theoretical air calculation can be affected by factors such as variations in the composition of the fuel, temperature and pressure conditions, and the presence of impurities in the fuel or air. It is important to use accurate and consistent data for these factors in order to obtain a precise calculation.

4. What is the difference between theoretical air and actual air in combustion?

Theoretical air is the amount of air needed for complete combustion based on the stoichiometric ratio, while actual air is the amount of air that is actually supplied during the combustion process. Actual air may differ from theoretical air due to factors such as incomplete mixing of fuel and air, or losses in the system.

5. How does the calculation of theoretical air impact the design of combustion systems?

The calculation of theoretical air is essential in the design of combustion systems as it helps determine the size and capacity of equipment such as burners and boilers. It also helps in optimizing the combustion process and minimizing emissions by ensuring the correct amount of air is supplied for efficient combustion.