Communicating vases, maximum height before rest (water in pipes)

In summary, the person is seeking help understanding the water levels in two connected vertical pipes. The pipes have a diameter of 100 mm and a height of 2200 mm. The person has water at a level of 2000 mm in one pipe and 1000 mm in the other pipe. They want to know the maximum height the water will reach when the valve is opened, and what will happen if the height is doubled or the diameter is increased. They have tried various equations and common sense but have not been able to find a solution. They also mention using a PVC40 pipe and ask if a normal L-shaped elbow or a more shapely 120 degree elbow would have better results. They clarify that they do not have
enrico dandolo
I do not know much about computers too (not really true but I am not really up to date), I do not know if I am doing what I am supposed to, here is my first simple question:
Two connected pipes, equal diameter (internal) 100 mm, same height (2200 mm), I have water in one pipe at 2000 mm, in the receiving pipe I have the water level at 1000 mm, I open the valve (does not interfere with the computation), at what level will the water arrive ? (maximum height, I know that the equilibrium level is going to be at 1500 mm, not completely senile.). What happens if I double the height? What Happens if I increase the diameter? I tried to apply every equation I could find (but not always understood), applied common sense, and I even did a test with a smaller diameter pipe, and all results were different or not possible. The pipe is PVC40.
If someone out there can help me it would be great. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am having difficulty visualizing your set-up. Are the pipes vertical with the valve connector at the bottom? If so, what is the size of the valve? Would it be possible to show a picture?

Likes enrico dandolo
sorry vertical pipes, no worry about the valve as such is just a way like another to have the vases starting at different levels but not important for the friction or calculation), I do not have a picture but basically is a U formed by two pipes, all sizes the same (diameter), I do not know if the the length of the connecting pipe has any thing to do, but I do not know much. Also will a normal L shaped elbow (two of course) (90) have worst or better results of a more shapely 120? Basically the full side drops the level for 1000 mm (with no resistance or friction), we also know that the equilibrium level is 1,500 mm. The point is to know how much higher of this equilibrium level will the water go (and how low it will go in the starting pipe). It is like a water based pendulum that does not have a return, just a one way trip. Hope was helpful and thanks for the inquiry.

1. What are communicating vases?

Communicating vases are a set of connected vessels or containers that allow liquid to flow freely between them. They are often used as a visual demonstration of fluid dynamics and the principle of communicating vessels.

2. How do communicating vases work?

The liquid in communicating vases will always seek to establish an equal level in all connected vessels, regardless of the shape or size of the vessels. This is due to the principle of communicating vessels, which states that the pressure at the same height in a connected system of fluids is the same. As a result, the liquid will continue to flow until the pressure is equalized and the liquid reaches the same height in all the vessels.

3. What is the maximum height of water in communicating vases?

The maximum height of water in communicating vases depends on the size and shape of the vessels, as well as the density of the liquid being used. In general, the maximum height can be calculated by dividing the total volume of the vessels by the cross-sectional area of the connecting pipe. However, this calculation may vary in real-life situations due to factors such as surface tension, friction, and air pressure.

4. Can the maximum height of water in communicating vases be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum height of water in communicating vases can be exceeded in certain circumstances. If the vessels are not perfectly sealed or if there are any leaks in the system, the pressure may not be equalized and the liquid may continue to flow, resulting in a higher level than predicted. Additionally, if the vessels are not completely filled with liquid, the maximum height may also be exceeded.

5. What are the practical applications of communicating vases?

Communicating vases have various practical applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, hydraulic engineering, and plumbing. They can be used to demonstrate concepts such as pressure, flow rate, and fluid behavior. They are also used in plumbing systems to maintain equal pressure in different parts of a building. Additionally, they are used in fountains and other water features to maintain a consistent water level.