Comparing $e^\pi$ and $\pi ^e$ Without Computing

• MHB
  • Thread starter eddybob123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem of determining which number is larger without using any computing devices. After providing a hint, the conversation continues with a discussion on the process of solving the problem and ultimately concludes that e^π is larger than π^e.
eddybob123
Without using any computing devices, show which number is larger: $e^\pi$ or $\pi ^e$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint:
Consider the function $y=\frac{x}{\ln(x)}$.

Last edited:
eddybob123 said:
So does no one know or no one bothers to post their solution?...

Typically, you should not expect a solution to be posted so quickly; we ask in our http://mathhelpboards.com/challenge-questions-puzzles-28/guidelines-posting-answering-challenging-problem-puzzle-3875.html that you give our members about a week to respond. Sometimes you will get a quick response, but sometimes not.

In my case, I have seen this problem before along with its solution, so I felt it would only be fair to leave it for the enjoyment of someone who has not seen it before.

The vast majority of problems posted as challenges here are solved, but most people are not online all the time, and so it may be a while before someone comes along who will solve the problem and post their solution. (Sun)

(Headbang)

Last edited:
eddybob123 said:
So does no one know or no one bothers to post their solution?

I haven't even had my breakfast yet. :p

[sp]Using your (much needed) hint.

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\ln x -1}{(\ln x )^2}\)

So \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=0 \text{ when } x=e \text{ and } \frac{dy}{dx}>0 \text{ when } x>e\)

\(\displaystyle y=e\) when \(\displaystyle x=e\) and \(\displaystyle y>e\) when \(\displaystyle x>e\).

So when \(\displaystyle x=\pi\) we have \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{\ln \pi}>e \Rightarrow \pi>e \ln \pi \Rightarrow e^{\pi}> \pi^ e \)

[/sp]

Actually, I haven't even done breakfast for my children.

(Clapping)

(Dance)(Dance)(Dance)(Dance)(Dance)(Dance)(Dance)(Dance)(Dance)

I have shown in my blog at Fun with maths
that

x^(1/x) is maximum at x = e so e^(1/e) > π^(1/π)

and hence e^π > π^e after raising both sides to power πe

Related to Comparing $e^\pi$ and $\pi ^e$ Without Computing

1. How can $e^\pi$ and $\pi ^e$ be compared without computing them?

The comparison between $e^\pi$ and $\pi ^e$ can be done by using mathematical properties and relationships between $e$ and $\pi$. These properties can help us understand how the two numbers relate to each other without actually calculating their decimal values.

2. What is the relationship between $e^\pi$ and $\pi ^e$?

The relationship between $e^\pi$ and $\pi ^e$ is that they are both irrational numbers, meaning they cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. However, $e^\pi$ is approximately 23.14069 while $\pi ^e$ is approximately 22.45916, showing that $e^\pi$ is slightly larger than $\pi ^e$.

3. Why is it important to compare $e^\pi$ and $\pi ^e$?

Comparing $e^\pi$ and $\pi ^e$ can help us understand the properties and relationships of these two important mathematical constants. It can also provide insights into the nature of irrational numbers and the complex relationships between them.

4. What do the values of $e^\pi$ and $\pi ^e$ represent?

The value of $e^\pi$ represents the number that results from raising Euler's number $e$ to the power of pi, while the value of $\pi ^e$ represents the number that results from raising pi to the power of Euler's number $e$. These values have important applications in various mathematical and scientific fields.

5. How can the comparison between $e^\pi$ and $\pi ^e$ be used in real-world applications?

The comparison between $e^\pi$ and $\pi ^e$ can be used in various real-world applications such as in finance, physics, and statistics. For example, in finance, these numbers are used in compound interest calculations, while in physics, they are used to model exponential decay and growth. In statistics, they are used in probability calculations and statistical distributions.