Comparing inductance and capacitance: Analogy to charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between inductance and capacitance, including their equations and physical interpretations. The relationship between charge and voltage for capacitors is compared to the relationship between magnetic flux and current for inductors. The concept of energy is also brought up and used to further explain the analogy between the two. The question of what exactly n⋅Φn\cdot \Phi represents is raised, with the response being that it is the product of current and inductance.
greypilgrim
Hi.
Inductance and capacitance have many analogies, both conceptually and formally. A capacitor connected to a voltage source carries the charge ##Q=C\cdot V##. The analogous equation for inductance is ##n\cdot \Phi=L\cdot I##.

Charge is physical, it's proportional to the number of excess electrons on one plate. But what exactly is ##n\cdot \Phi##? I know what the magnetic flux is, but I wonder if there's a more tangible interpretation analogous to charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is a fundamental so you might look at the parallel from that viewpoint.

For a capacitor; E = ½ · C · V²
Q = C · V
C = Q / V; the slope of the line dQ/dV = C.
E = ½ · Q · V; the area under the line is the energy.

For an inductor E = ½ · L · I²
Φ = L· I
L = Φ / I; the slope of the line dΦ/dI = L.
E = ½ · Φ · I; the area under the line is the energy.

greypilgrim said:
But what exactly is n⋅Φn\cdot \Phi?
Current times inductance.
Inductance tells you how good a conductor is at generating a magnetic field when current flows through it.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between inductance and capacitance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that causes a voltage to be induced in response to a change in current. Capacitance, on the other hand, is a property that causes a charge to be stored in response to a change in voltage.

2. How are inductance and capacitance measured?

Inductance is measured in units called Henrys (H), while capacitance is measured in units called Farads (F).

3. Can inductance and capacitance be compared to each other?

Yes, inductance and capacitance can be compared to each other as they are both properties that affect the behavior of an electrical circuit. However, they are not equivalent to each other and cannot be directly converted.

4. What is the analogy between inductance and capacitance and charge?

The analogy between inductance and capacitance and charge is that inductance is similar to charge in the sense that both cause a voltage to be induced in response to a change in current, while capacitance is similar to charge in that both cause a charge to be stored in response to a change in voltage.

5. How do inductance and capacitance affect the behavior of an electrical circuit?

Inductance and capacitance both affect the flow of current in an electrical circuit. Inductance resists changes in current, while capacitance resists changes in voltage. Both properties play a crucial role in the functioning of many electronic devices.