Comparing Physics Books - Was My Purchase a Good Choice?

In summary, the conversation is about purchasing a book on physics from Amazon and seeking the expert's opinion on whether it meets the criteria of fundamentals, high-end theories, mathematical/theoretical explanations, and mathematical overviews. The expert suggests that both "University Physics" and "Fundamentals of Physics" are popular and good options, but is not familiar with the third book. The individual can still cancel their order and consider the suggestions.
Tri
Hi, I just purchased a Book on physics from amazon. What do you think of it?
My criteria was:
Fundamentals
High end theory's
Mathematical/Theoretical explanation
Mathematical overviews
Do you think the book matches?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321501217/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Do you think this was a good pick?
Or should I have gotten the following: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471758019/?tag=pfamazon01-20 , or https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470379243/?tag=pfamazon01-20 .
Please respond as soon as possible I can still cancel my order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

University physics and fundamentals of physics are both very popular and none of them can be said to be better than the other.I have fundamentals of physics and find it very good.I have seen university physics also and feel that it has more matter and covers many more things. Both of them are among the top books. I don't know much about the third book.

1. How do I know if I purchased a good physics book?

The best way to determine if a physics book is good is to consider its content and the author's credentials. Look for books that cover a wide range of topics and are written by experts in the field. Additionally, you can read reviews from other readers or ask for recommendations from trusted sources.

2. What factors should I consider when comparing physics books?

When comparing physics books, consider factors such as the level of difficulty, the depth of coverage, the clarity of explanations, and the quality of illustrations and examples. It's also important to consider your own learning style and choose a book that aligns with it.

3. Are newer physics books always better than older ones?

Not necessarily. While newer books may have updated information and better illustrations, older books may have a more thorough and in-depth coverage of fundamental concepts. It's important to consider the content and the author's expertise rather than the publication date.

4. Should I purchase multiple physics books or stick to one?

It depends on your learning goals and preferences. If you are looking for a comprehensive understanding of physics, it may be beneficial to have multiple books that cover different topics. However, if you prefer a more concise and focused approach, sticking to one book may be a better choice.

5. How important is the writing style in a physics book?

The writing style can greatly impact your learning experience. A clear and concise writing style can make complex concepts easier to understand, while a confusing or jargon-filled style can hinder your understanding. It's important to choose a book with a writing style that resonates with you.