Comparing Solutions of Quadratic Equations: Real vs Imaginary Roots

In summary, the conversation discussed two different methods for solving a quadratic equation. The first method involved subtracting 5 from both sides, dividing by 7, and taking the square root to get the answer x = ±i√(5/7). The second method used the quadratic formula and simplified to x = ±i√(35/7). The discrepancy between the two answers was due to a mistake in the first method, which was corrected with the help of the other person.
hackedagainanda
Homework Statement
Solve for x, 7x^2 + 5 = 0
Relevant Equations
##x = \frac {-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}} {2a},##
I subtract 5 from both sides to get 7x^2 = -5 Then I divide both sides by 7 to get -5/7. I then take the square root to get x = sqrt of the imaginary unit i 5/7 then ##\pm { i \sqrt \frac 5 7}##

The quadratic formula on the other hand gets me a different answer, the discriminant = -140 which can be simplified to 2 sqrt 35 i over 14 and then you factor out the 2 and get ##\pm i \sqrt \frac {35} 7##I see there is a Latex error but the root is only in the numerator
Both answers seem correct to me I don't see my error.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
b=0, so:
$$x = \pm \frac{\sqrt{-4*35}}{2*7}$$
$$x = \pm \frac{2\sqrt{-35}}{2*7}$$
$$x = \pm \sqrt{\frac{-35}{49}} = \pm \sqrt{\frac{-5}{7}}$$

Likes hackedagainanda
That's the answer I got, I take it the book rationalized the denominator. I see my error now, I didn't follow the steps all the way through.

Likes berkeman
Thanks for the help! You are very appreciated :smile:

Likes berkeman

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called a quadratic equation because the highest power of the variable is 2.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The method you use will depend on the specific equation and your personal preference.

3. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a formula used to solve quadratic equations. It is given by x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

4. Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions?

No, a quadratic equation can have at most two solutions. This is because the graph of a quadratic function is a parabola, which can intersect the x-axis at most twice.

5. How are quadratic equations used in real life?

Quadratic equations are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the maximum height of a projectile, determining the optimal shape of a bridge or arch, and predicting the trajectory of a moving object. They are also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.