Comparison tests for series

In summary: We can always shift the starting point by removing a finite number of terms from one of the series, as long as the limit is still applicable. This means that the Comparison Test and the Limit Comparison Test can be applied regardless of the starting points of the series. In summary, the Comparison Test and the Limit Comparison Test are methods used to determine the convergence or divergence of infinite series, and they can be applied even if the two series being compared have different starting points.
PFuser1232
Comparison Test

Consider the two infinite series ##\sum a_n## and ##\sum b_n## with ##a_n,b_n \geq 0## and ##a_n \leq b_n## for all ##n##.
If ##\sum b_n## is convergent so is ##\sum a_n##.
If ##\sum a_n## is divergent so is ##\sum b_n##.

Limit Comparison Test

Consider the two infinite series ##\sum a_n## and ##\sum b_n## with ##a_n \geq 0## and ##b_n > 0## for all ##n##. Define:
$$c = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_n}{b_n}$$
If ##c## is positive and finite then either both series converge or both series diverge.

Does it matter if the two series we're comparing have different starting points? I don't think it matters because we can always strip out a finite number of terms from one of the series until both series have the same starting point.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/SeriesCompTest.aspx

But according to this link, "in order to apply this test we need both series to start at the same place."

Physics news on Phys.org
MohammedRady said:
Does it matter if the two series we're comparing have different starting points? I don't think it matters because we can always strip out a finite number of terms from one of the series until both series have the same starting point.

You are removing a finite number of terms because you care about different starting points.

Sometimes it possible to change index in order to have series from a determinate point, as example from ##\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}a_{i}## putting ##i-1=k## we have ## \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{k+1}##...

MohammedRady said:
The limit is as ##n \to \infty##, so the starting points of the two series don't matter.

1. What are comparison tests for series?

Comparison tests for series are mathematical techniques used to determine the convergence or divergence of infinite series. They involve comparing the given series with a known series whose convergence or divergence is already known.

2. What are some commonly used comparison tests for series?

Some commonly used comparison tests for series include the direct comparison test, the limit comparison test, and the ratio test.

3. How do I know which comparison test to use?

The choice of comparison test depends on the given series and the type of terms it contains. It is important to try different comparison tests to find the most suitable one for a particular series.

4. Can comparison tests be used for both convergent and divergent series?

Yes, comparison tests can be used for both convergent and divergent series. They can help determine the convergence or divergence of a series, and can also be used to find the limit of a convergent series.

5. Are there any limitations to using comparison tests for series?

While comparison tests are useful tools for determining the convergence or divergence of series, they may not always provide a definitive answer. There are some cases where other tests may be needed to fully analyze a series.