[complex analysis] are branch points always isolated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of branch points in complex analysis, particularly in relation to the logarithm function. The speakers debate whether points in a branch cut can be considered branch points, and whether they can be made analytical by moving the branch cut. An example of a function with dense branch points around zero is given, and its inverse function is also defined.
nonequilibrium
You can choose to limit yourself to continuous or analytical functions

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you define Logz, isn't every point in the branch cut a branch point?

If you draw a circle that winds around any point in the negative real axis ---

or same thing for any point in any branch cut you use to define log, you do not

end up where you started after going 2Pi around.

I understand what you say, but my professor in Complex Analysis told me that the branch cut points don't count as branch points, because by moving the branch cut they can be made analytical. So for the logarithm, we say only zero is a branch point.

I thought about it some more, and I think I might have an example of a function defined on the unit disk where the branch points are dense in any environment around zero:

Define
[tex]f: \mathbb C \backslash \overline D(0,1) \to \mathbb C: z \mapsto \prod_{n=2}^{\infty} \sqrt[n]{z-n}[/tex]

I'm not sure if it converges, but say it does, then it has a branch point for every integer n > 1 (?). Then define:

[tex]g: D(0,1) \to \mathbb C: t \mapsto f \left( \frac{1}{t} \right)[/tex]

Related to [complex analysis] are branch points always isolated?

Question 1:

What is complex analysis and why is it important?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies functions of complex numbers. It is important because it provides powerful tools for solving problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Question 2:

What are branch points in complex analysis?

Branch points are points in the complex plane where a function is not well-defined. This means that the function takes on different values depending on the path taken to approach the point. Branch points are important in complex analysis because they can cause discontinuities and other interesting behaviors in functions.

Question 3:

Are branch points always isolated?

No, branch points are not always isolated. There are cases where branch points can form a continuous curve or even a region in the complex plane. This is known as a branch cut and it is an important concept in complex analysis.

Question 4:

How are branch points related to singularities in complex analysis?

Branch points are a type of singularity in complex analysis. They are classified as essential singularities, which means that the function cannot be analytically continued beyond the point. This is because the function takes on different values depending on the path taken to approach the point.

Question 5:

What are some applications of complex analysis in real-world problems?

Complex analysis has numerous applications in real-world problems. Some examples include solving differential equations in physics and engineering, analyzing fluid flow and heat transfer, designing electrical circuits, and predicting stock market behavior. It is also used in computer graphics and signal processing.