Complex form of Fourier series

In summary, the function $f(t)$ can be represented by a Fourier series, where the coefficients $a_0$, $a_n$, and $b_n$ are determined by integrals involving $f(t)$ and the boundaries $a$ and $b$. This can also be expressed in complex form as $f(t)=\sum_{-\infty}^{+\infty}F_n e^{jnw_0t}$, with $F_n=\frac{1}{T}\int_{-\frac{T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}f(t)e^{-jnw_0t}dt$. However, there was a mistake in the calculation of $F_n$, which was corrected by changing the boundaries
etf
Let function $f(t)$ is represented by Fourier series,
$$\frac{a_0}{2}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(a_n\cos{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}}+b_n\sin{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}}),$$
$$a_0=\frac{2}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(t)dt,$$
$$a_n=\frac{2}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(t)cos\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}dt,$$
$$b_n=\frac{2}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(t)sin\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}dt,$$
where $$a$$ and $$b$$ are lower and upper boundary.

Here is how I transformed it in order to get complex form:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

But here is what I find on web:
$$f(t)=\sum_{-\infty}^{+\infty}Fne^{jnw0t}$$, where $$Fn=\frac{1}{T}\int_{-\frac{T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}f(t)e^{-jnw0t}dt$$

If I put in my solution a=-T/2, b=T/2, I will get $$Fn=\frac{2}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(t)e^{-j\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}}dt=\frac{2}{T/2-(-T/2))}\int_{-T/2}^{T/2}f(t)e^{-j\frac{2n\pi t}{T/2-(-T/2)}}dt=\frac{2}{T}\int_{-T/2}^{T/2}f(t)e^{-j\frac{2n\pi t}{T}}dt=
\frac{2}{T}\int_{-T/2}^{T/2}f(t)e^{-jnw0t}dt$$

You can see that I get (2/T)*integral but it should be (1/T)*integral. Whats wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mistake found :)

1. What is a complex form of Fourier series?

A complex form of Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of complex exponential functions. It is a way to break down a complex signal into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. How is a complex form of Fourier series different from a regular Fourier series?

A complex form of Fourier series takes into account the imaginary part of a periodic function, while a regular Fourier series only considers the real part. This allows for a more concise and accurate representation of the function.

3. What are the advantages of using a complex form of Fourier series?

One advantage is that it can represent any periodic function, regardless of its complexity. It also allows for precise analysis and manipulation of the signal, making it useful in various fields such as signal processing, image and audio compression, and data compression.

4. How is a complex form of Fourier series calculated?

The complex Fourier coefficients are calculated by integrating the periodic function with a complex exponential function. These coefficients are then used to reconstruct the original function using a summation of complex exponential functions.

5. What are some practical applications of the complex form of Fourier series?

The complex form of Fourier series has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used in signal processing for noise reduction, in image and audio compression for data compression, and in mathematics for solving partial differential equations.