Complex function, principal value notation

Hill
Homework Helper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Notations ##Log##, ##[]##
When a variable in ##[\text { } ]## means its principal value, ##(-\pi,\pi]##, which is correct:
##Log(z^2)=log([z]^2)## or ##Log(z^2)=log([z^2])## (both, neither)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
IMO, you are confused. It is the Log that returns the principle value, no matter what the input is. Also, regardless of what the input is, log() does not indicate the principle value. It is a multi-valued function.
## log( z) = ln |z| + i (Arg( z) + 2\pi k)## for ##k \in \mathbb I##.
So the right sides of your two alternative equations are multiple valued.

FactChecker said:
IMO, you are confused. It is the Log that returns the principle value, no matter what the input is. Also, regardless of what the input is, log() does not indicate the principle value. It is a multi-valued function.
## log( z) = ln |z| + i (Arg( z) + 2\pi k)## for ##k \in \mathbb I##.
So the right sides of your two alternative equations are multiple valued.
Thank you. This exercise is the source of my confusion:

1698812854299.png

What is a role of the square brackets in the first equation? They cannot mean principal values of ##z^2## and of ##(-z)^2## as these functions are single-valued.

@Hill , can you please explain the meaning of '[]'? Is it anything other than a placeholder?

WWGD said:
@Hill , can you please explain the meaning of '[]'? Is it anything other than a placeholder?
This is how it appears in the text:

1698814694007.png

IMO, regardless of whether ##[z^2]## has the principle argument, ##Arg(z^2)##, the function ##log [z^2]## is multiple valued.

Likes Hill

1. What is a complex function?

A complex function is a function that maps complex numbers to complex numbers. It can be expressed as f(z) = u(x, y) + iv(x, y), where z = x + iy, u and v are real-valued functions of x and y, and i is the imaginary unit.

2. What is principal value notation?

Principal value notation is a way to define complex functions with branch cuts or multivalued functions in a consistent manner. It involves choosing a specific branch or value for a function in order to avoid ambiguity or discontinuities.

3. How is principal value notation used in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, principal value notation is used to define functions like the logarithm and inverse trigonometric functions in a way that ensures they are single-valued and continuous. This notation helps to specify which branch or value of the function is being considered.

4. What is the principal value of a complex function?

The principal value of a complex function is the specific value chosen using principal value notation. It is the value that is selected to be the main or principal branch of the function, often by restricting the domain or range to avoid multivaluedness or discontinuities.

5. Why is principal value notation important in complex analysis?

Principal value notation is important in complex analysis because it allows us to define functions consistently and unambiguously, particularly when dealing with branch cuts or multivalued functions. By specifying a principal value, we can ensure that our functions are well-behaved and continuous.