Complex number as a root and inequality question

In summary, we can determine that the complex number i is a root of the equation x^4 - 5x^3 + 7x^2 - 5x + 6 = 0 by using the fact that (x^2 + 1) must be a factor. After some trial and error, we can factor the equation into (x^2 + 1)(x - 2)(x - 3) = 0, revealing real roots at 2 and 3 and non-real roots at ±i. Additionally, there are multiple methods for solving these types of polynomials, such as converting to (x^2 + ...)(x^2 + ...) format, using the quadratic formula, and
Darken1
Question 1:
(a) Show that the complex number i is a root of the equation
x^4 - 5x^3 + 7x^2 - 5x + 6 = 0
(b) Find the other roots of this equation

Work:
Well, I thought about factoring the equation into (x^2 + ...) (x^2+...) but I couldn't do it. Is there a method for that? Anyways the reason I wanted to do that was to use the quadratic formula afterwards where I guess one of the zeroes is x=i.Edit: Think I solved my own question 2 upon writing this
Question 2:
Let f(x) = (4-x^2)/(4-x^(1/2))

(a) State the largest possible domain for f.

(b )Solve the inequality f(x) greater than or equal to 1

Work:
Domain: [0,16) U (16,infinity)
x^(1/2) so x can't be negative (greater than or equal to 0) and it's a fraction so the denominator cannot equal to 0.

Multiplied denominator to the other side
4-x^2 >= 4-x^(1/2)
Eventually arrived to
x^2-x^(1/2) <=0 and 0<=x^2+x^(1/2)
Took the first equation and changed the first term
(x^(1/2))^4-x^(1/2)<=0
x<=1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Darken said:
Question 1:
(a) Show that the complex number i is a root of the equation
x^4 - 5x^3 + 7x^2 - 5x + 6 = 0

I think we can cheat a bit here and use the question itself to help us! If \(\displaystyle i\) is a root of the equation, then there must be a factor of \(\displaystyle (x^2 + 1)\). Does this make sense? In other words, we want to factor the expression, and thus determine the roots of the equation. One of which, will be i.

I get, \(\displaystyle (x^2 + 1)(x - 2)(x - 3) = 0\) which has real roots at 2, and 3, and non-real roots at \(\displaystyle \pm i\) (the advantage of this one is that we solve b) also).

Alternatively, and as you have said, we can simply let \(\displaystyle x = i\), and see if whether we come across any strange results.

\(\displaystyle i^4 - 5i^3 + 7i^2 - 5i + 6 = 0\)

\(\displaystyle i^2i^2 - 5i^2i + 7i^2 -5i + 6 = 0\)

\(\displaystyle 1 +5i - 7 - 5i + 6 = 0\)

\(\displaystyle 0 = 0\) and hence, \(\displaystyle i\) is indeed a root of the equation.There are a few different methods for solving these, which ones have you learned for dealing with these polynomials?

Last edited:
Joppy said:
I think we can cheat a bit here and use the question itself to help us! If \(\displaystyle i\) is a root of the equation, then there must be a factor of \(\displaystyle (x^2 + 1)\). Does this make sense? In other words, we want to factor the expression, and thus determine the roots of the equation. One of which, will be i.

I get, \(\displaystyle (x^2 + 1)(x - 2)(x - 3) = 0\) which has real roots at 2, and 3, and non-real roots at \(\displaystyle \pm i\).

There are a few different methods for solving these, which ones have you learned for dealing with these polynomials?

For x^4+... I just try to convert it to (x^2+...)(x^2+...) format by guessing tbh. I know how to factor cubes, the quadratic formula, and how to divide one polynomial by another.

Darken said:
For x^4+... I just try to convert it to (x^2+...)(x^2+...) format by guessing tbh. I know how to factor cubes, the quadratic formula, and how to divide one polynomial by another.

That's a good start, and yes, a bit of educated guesswork can come in handy at times.

I'll run through how i did it, and then perhaps someone else can provide a more formal or general method for solving. A few main things i used to help me solve were,

1. \(\displaystyle (x^2 + 1)\) must be a factor (given in the question)
2. The product of all the factored constants must equal 6.

Because of 1., i assumed that there must be at least two other factors of the form \(\displaystyle (x+b)(x+a)\). I did so, because we know there can't be any more x terms right? Otherwise we would have an \(\displaystyle x\) to the power of a number greater than 4, which isn't in our original expression. So we have,

\(\displaystyle (x^2 + 1)(x+a)(x+b) = 0\)

At this point i got lazy and just 'trialed and errored' a bit, taking a and b as factors of 6 (2.). and knowing that the sum of \(\displaystyle a\) and \(\displaystyle b\) must equal \(\displaystyle -5\). i.e., \(\displaystyle a + b = -5\) and \(\displaystyle ab = 6\), \(\displaystyle -2\) and \(\displaystyle -3\) are the obvious candidates here :p.

This approach is pretty adhoc, and i wouldn't recommend it (i'll probably get in trouble for it :p) while you're still learning. Sparkfun offers some not bad advice on factoring polynomials of degree 3 and 4.

Joppy said:
That's a good start, and yes, a bit of educated guesswork can come in handy at times.

I'll run through how i did it, and then perhaps someone else can provide a more formal or general method for solving. A few main things i used to help me solve were,

1. \(\displaystyle (x^2 + 1)\) must be a factor (given in the question)
2. The product of all the factored constants must equal 6.

Because of 1., i assumed that there must be at least two other factors of the form \(\displaystyle (x+b)(x+a)\). I did so, because we know there can't be any more x terms right? Otherwise we would have an \(\displaystyle x\) to the power of a number greater than 4, which isn't in our original expression. So we have,

\(\displaystyle (x^2 + 1)(x+a)(x+b) = 0\)

At this point i got lazy and just 'trialed and errored' a bit, taking a and b as factors of 6 (2.). and knowing that the sum of \(\displaystyle a\) and \(\displaystyle b\) must equal \(\displaystyle -5\). i.e., \(\displaystyle a + b = -5\) and \(\displaystyle ab = 6\), \(\displaystyle -2\) and \(\displaystyle -3\) are the obvious candidates here :p.

This approach is pretty adhoc, and i wouldn't recommend it (i'll probably get in trouble for it :p) while you're still learning. Sparkfun offers some not bad advice on factoring polynomials of degree 3 and 4.

I can't see the url outside of me replying. Anyways what about dividing the original equation by (x^2 + 1) and then attempting to factor whatever it is?

Darken said:
I can't see the url outside of me replying.

Not sure about that. Maybe i didn't embed them correctly.

Darken said:
Anyways what about dividing the original equation by (x^2 + 1) and then attempting to factor whatever it is?

Yes long division is a pretty common method. It's quite robust too.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers, and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the significance of complex numbers as roots?

Complex numbers can be used as roots of polynomial equations that have no real solutions. This allows us to solve a wider range of equations and problems in mathematics and science.

3. How do you represent complex numbers in an inequality?

Complex numbers can be represented on a complex plane, with the real part of the number on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. Inequalities involving complex numbers can be graphed on this plane to visualize solutions.

4. What is the difference between a real root and a complex root?

A real root is a number that, when substituted into a polynomial equation, makes the equation equal to 0. A complex root is a number that, when substituted into a polynomial equation, makes the equation equal to a complex number.

5. How are complex numbers used in real-life applications?

Complex numbers are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. They are particularly useful in analyzing and solving problems involving alternating currents, oscillations, and complex systems.