Complex numbers finding the Imaginary part

In summary: Therefore, the imaginary part is 0 and the real part is 16.In summary, $(1+j)^8$ can be solved without tediously expanding it by using the polar form of complex numbers, where it can be easily raised to a power of 8. Alternatively, it can be expanded using the binomial theorem and the cyclic property of exponents of $j$, resulting in a real part of 16 and an imaginary part of 0.
Drain Brain
is there a way to solve this without performing the tedious expansion of $(1+j)^8$?

here's the problem

$\text{Im}[(1+j)^8(x+jy)]$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:
is there anyway to solve this without performing the tedious expansion of $(1+j)^8$?

here's the problem

$\text{Im}[(1+j)^8(x+jy)]$

Exponentiation of complex numbers is easiest if it's in its exponential polar form...

Prove It said:
Exponentiation of complex numbers is easiest if it's in its exponential polar form...

how to do that polar form?

Drain Brain said:
how to do that polar form?

The polar form is:
$$1+j=\sqrt 2 \cdot e^{j \pi / 4}$$

Generally it is:
$$x+yj = r e^{j\phi}$$
where $x= r\cos \phi$ and $y=r\sin \phi$.

I like Serena said:
The polar form is:
$$1+j=\sqrt 2 \cdot e^{j \pi / 4}$$

Generally it is:
$$x+yj = r e^{j\phi}$$
where $x= r\cos \phi$ and $y=r\sin \phi$.

Is there another way aside from that? It seems I can't handle that yet.

Drain Brain said:
Is there another way aside from that? It seems I can't handle that yet.

Well... we can apply the binomium:
$$(a+b)^n = a^n + \binom n 1 a^{n-1}b + \binom n 2 a^{n-2}b^2 + ... + b^n$$
In your case that would be:
$$(1+j)^8 = 1 + 8j + \binom 8 2 j^2 + ... + j^8 = 1 + 8j - \binom 8 2 - \binom 8 3 j +\binom 8 4 + ... + 1$$And let me show how it's done using polar:
$$(1+j)^8 = \Big(\sqrt 2 e^{j \pi /4}\Big)^8 = (\sqrt 2)^8 e^{2\pi j} = (\sqrt 2)^8 \cdot 1 = (\sqrt 2)^8$$Otherwise I'm afraid you're stuck with expanding the expression factor by factor.

If you don't want to use polar form, it's not that tedious to expand the product using the binomial theorem:
$$(1 + j)^8 = \sum_{k = 0}^8 \binom{8}{k} j^k$$
Now recall the cyclic property of exponents of $j$ that you saw in the other thread, then you will know those nine terms, in terms of $k$, will fall into exactly two equivalence classes in terms of real and imaginary parts, given by $(0, 2, 4, 6, 8)$ and $(1, 3, 5, 7)$, in other words, even $k$ produces a real term and odd $k$ produces an imaginary term with alternating signs ($0 \to 1$, $1 \to i$, $2 \to -1$, $3 \to -i$ and so on). We calculate each separately:
$$\Re((1 + j)^8) = \binom{8}{0} - \binom{8}{2} + \binom{8}{4} - \binom{8}{6} + \binom{8}{8} = 16$$
$$\Im((1 + j)^8) = \binom{8}{1} - \binom{8}{3} + \binom{8}{5} - \binom{8}{7} = 0$$
The imaginary part is easy since the binomial terms cancel out due to the property $\binom{n}{k} = \binom{n}{n - k}$. For the real part I guess you just have to compute each term, it's not that bad, there's only two nontrivial terms to work out since $\binom{n}{0} = 1$. So we conclude $(1 + j)^8 = 16 + 0j = 16$. The rest follows...​

Often, the complex numbers are called "rotation-dilations" because multiplying the vector $(x,y) = x+yj$ by $a+bj$ corresponds to the linear map $\Bbb R^2 \to \Bbb R^2$ with matrix:

$\begin{bmatrix}a&-b\\b&a \end{bmatrix}$.

This stretches the vector $(x,y)$ by a factor of $\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}$ and rotates it through the angle:

$\theta = \tan^{-1}\left(\dfrac{b}{a}\right)$ if $a > 0$
$\theta = \dfrac{\pi}{2}$, if $a = 0, b > 0$
$\theta = \tan^{-1}\left(\dfrac{b}{a}\right) + \pi$ if $a < 0, b \geq 0$
$\theta = \tan^{-1}\left(\dfrac{b}{a}\right) - \pi$ if $a < 0, b < 0$
$\theta = -\dfrac{\pi}{2}$, if $a = 0, b < 0$

(the rotation induced by the 0-vector is left undefined).

The important thing to remember about this is: when we multiply complex numbers, the magnitudes multiply, and the angles add.

So what does this mean for $(1+j)^8$?

Note that this lies on the line $y = x$ with angle $\tan^{-1}(1) = \dfrac{\pi}{4}$ (45 degrees). So when we take it to the 8th power, we are going to get a vector with angle $2\pi$, which is the same as a vector with angle 0: that is, it lies on the $x$ (real) axis, pointing in the positive direction.

We are also going to take the magnitude of $1 + j$ to the 8th power: so we need to find this. But it's clear that $1+j$ is the hypotenuse of an isosceles right triangle with equal legs of length 1, and so has magnitude $\sqrt{2}$. Thus our magnitude will be:

$(\sqrt{2})^8 = ((\sqrt{2})^2)^4 = 2^4 = 16$

so $(1+j)^8$ is a vector with magnitude 16 pointing in the positive direction of the $x$-axis, that is to say: the real number 16.

Related to Complex numbers finding the Imaginary part

1. What is the imaginary part of a complex number?

The imaginary part of a complex number is a number that is multiplied by the imaginary unit, i, to form the complex number. It is represented as b in the complex number a + bi.

2. How do you find the imaginary part of a complex number?

To find the imaginary part of a complex number, simply identify the coefficient of i in the complex number. For example, in the complex number 3 + 5i, the imaginary part is 5i.

3. Can the imaginary part of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the imaginary part of a complex number can be negative. This would be represented as -bi in the complex number a - bi.

4. What is the significance of the imaginary part in a complex number?

The imaginary part of a complex number helps us represent numbers that are not on the real number line. It is essential in solving equations involving complex numbers and is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

5. How is the imaginary part of a complex number used in graphing?

The imaginary part of a complex number is used to plot points on the complex plane. The real part of the complex number represents the x-coordinate, while the imaginary part represents the y-coordinate. This allows us to graph complex numbers and visualize mathematical concepts such as rotations and transformations.