Complex Numbers in a Simple Example that I am Very Confused

In summary: So, if you want to define a "principal root" of a negative number, you must pick one of the two roots. The problem with roots of complex numbers is that you can't define a "principal root" which will behave nicely with all the required properties. So, the only property you can use is a^2=(\sqrt a)^2. But, in general, you can't use \sqrt a \sqrt b = \sqrt{ab}.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the square of a complex number, specifically when the number is negative. Two methods are presented, with the second one being deemed incorrect due to the nature of complex numbers. It is explained that in the complex domain,
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
There a simple math example that I am confused ##(\sqrt {-4})^2##
Theres two ways to think
1-##\sqrt {-4}=2i## so ##(2i)^2=4i^2## which its ##-4##
2-##\sqrt {-4}##.##\sqrt {-4}##=##\sqrt {-4.-4}=\sqrt{16} =4##

I think second one is wrong but I couldn't prove how, but I think its cause ##\sqrt {-4}## is not "reel" number so we cannot take them into one square root

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vantroff
Mathematics news on Phys.org
edit: wrong suggestion

the formula for finding nth roots of a complext number is this (slightly complicated):

https://www.math.brown.edu/~pflueger/math19/1001%20Complex%20roots.pdf

Last edited:
Arman777 said:
2-##\sqrt {-4}##.##\sqrt {-4}##=##\sqrt {-4.-4}=\sqrt{16} =4##

I think second one is wrong but I couldn't prove how, but I think its cause ##\sqrt {-4}## is not "reel" number so we cannot take them into one square root
It's "real" number, not "reel" number.

Formula 2 is incorrect. ##\sqrt a \sqrt b = \sqrt{ab}## only if both a and b are nonnegative.

Likes Arman777
Thx a lot.My typo

Well - in the complex domain things are not the same as they are in the real domain. First, you have [itex]-4=4e^{\pi i} [/itex] so you might think that [itex]\sqrt{-4}=2e^{\frac{\pi}{2} i} = 2i[/itex]. But you also have [itex] -4=4e^{3\pi i}[/itex] and therefore [itex] \sqrt{-4}=2e^{\frac{3\pi}{2} i}=-2i [/itex]. Squaring either of the roots brings you back to [itex] -4[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes Arman777

Related to Complex Numbers in a Simple Example that I am Very Confused

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part, b is the imaginary part, and i is the imaginary unit (equal to the square root of -1).

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 4i) + (2 + 5i) = (3 + 2) + (4 + 5)i = 5 + 9i. Similarly, (3 + 4i) - (2 + 5i) = (3 - 2) + (4 - 5)i = 1 - i.

3. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you can use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last). For example, (3 + 4i) * (2 + 5i) = (3 * 2) + (3 * 5i) + (4i * 2) + (4i * 5i) = 6 + 15i + 8i + 20i2. Since i^2 = -1, this simplifies to 6 + 23i - 20 = -14 + 23i. To divide complex numbers, you can use the conjugate of the denominator to rationalize the fraction.

4. What is the geometric interpretation of complex numbers?

The real part of a complex number represents the horizontal position on the complex plane, while the imaginary part represents the vertical position. Therefore, a complex number (a + bi) can be represented as a point (a, b) on the complex plane. The length of the line from the origin to this point is known as the magnitude or modulus of the complex number, and the angle between this line and the positive real axis is known as the argument or phase of the complex number.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have many applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to model and solve problems involving alternating currents, oscillations, and waves. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and financial analysis. In addition, complex numbers have a geometric interpretation, making them useful in representing and analyzing rotations, translations, and other transformations in mathematics and computer graphics.