Complex semidefinite programming

In summary, for semidefinite programming (SDP), there are primal and dual forms for both real symmetric matrices and complex Hermitian matrices. The results for real SDP can be applied to complex SDP by replacing the real matrices with Hermitian matrices. This can also be done by rewriting algorithms using double-sized real matrices. It is suggested to try it on a problem with a verifiable answer and it is likely to work.
peterlam
For semidefinite programming (SDP), we have the primal and dual forms as:

primal

min <C,X>
s.t. <A_i,X> = b_i, i=1,...,m
X>=0

dual

max <b,y>
s.t. y_1*A_1 + ... + y_m*A_m <=C

where the data A_i and C are assumed to be real symmetric matrices in many textbooks and online materials.

If we consider complex SDP where A_i and C are Hermitian, will all the results about real SDP be correct by replacing the real matrices to Hermitian matrices? To be precious, will the primal and dual forms be still the same? Do the interior-point methods for real SDP work for complex SDP?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have slightly lost me in a forest of unfamiliar notation and jargon, but mostly in numerical analysis anything that works for real symmetric matrices will also work for complex Hermitian matrices.

You can often rewrite algorithms that use Hermitian matrices using double-sized real matrices, replacing every matrix [itex]z = x + iy[/itex] with

[tex] \bmatrix{x & y \cr -y & x} [/tex]

and the obvious corresponding thing for vectors.

So my advce would be just try it on a problem where you can verify the answer some other way, and I would be happy to bet a few dollars it will work fine.

(BTW I can't figure out why my matrix doesn't have a closing bracket!)

1. What is complex semidefinite programming?

Complex semidefinite programming is a mathematical optimization technique used to solve problems with complex-valued variables and matrices. It is an extension of semidefinite programming, which deals with real-valued variables and matrices.

2. What types of problems can be solved using complex semidefinite programming?

Complex semidefinite programming can be used to solve a variety of optimization problems, including quantum state estimation, robust control, signal processing, and machine learning. It is particularly useful in problems that involve complex-valued data or variables, such as in quantum mechanics or electrical engineering.

3. How does complex semidefinite programming differ from other optimization techniques?

Complex semidefinite programming is a specialized technique that is designed specifically for problems with complex-valued variables and matrices. It differs from other optimization techniques, such as linear programming or nonlinear programming, which are better suited for problems with real-valued variables. Complex semidefinite programming takes into account the unique properties of complex numbers and can handle both real and imaginary components.

4. What are the main advantages of using complex semidefinite programming?

One of the main advantages of complex semidefinite programming is its ability to handle complex-valued variables and matrices, which are often encountered in real-world problems. It can also provide more accurate solutions compared to approximations or simplifications used in other techniques. Additionally, complex semidefinite programming can handle both convex and non-convex problems, making it a versatile tool for a wide range of applications.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using complex semidefinite programming?

One of the main challenges in using complex semidefinite programming is the computational complexity of the algorithms involved. This can make it difficult to solve large-scale problems in a reasonable amount of time. Additionally, there is a lack of user-friendly software and tools for complex semidefinite programming, which can make it more challenging for non-experts to use. Furthermore, the interpretation of results from complex semidefinite programming can be more difficult compared to other optimization techniques, as it involves complex numbers and matrices.