Complex Square Root Function: Qs from Bruce P. Palka's Ex. 1.5, Ch. III

In summary: You write ..."Can you please show how to demonstrate that \sqrt{|z|} is continuous ...I know we require that \lim_{ z \to z_0 } \sqrt{|z|} = \sqrt{|z_0|} but why exactly is this true?Can you help?PeterBecause the function \sqrt{|z|} is continuous on the interval [0,1].
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Bruce P. Palka's book: An Introduction to Complex Function Theory ...

I am focused on Chapter III: Analytic Functions, Section 1.2 Differentiation Rules ...

I need further help with other aspects of Example 1.5, Section 1.2, Chapter III ...

Example 1.5, Section 1.2, Chapter III, reads as follows:

View attachment 9337
View attachment 9338
My questions are as follows:
Question 1

In the above text by Palka we read the following:" ... ... Recall that the function \(\displaystyle \theta\) is continuous on the set \(\displaystyle D = \mathbb{C} \sim ( - \infty, 0]\) (Lemma II.2.4), a fact that makes it clear that \(\displaystyle f\), too, is continuous in \(\displaystyle D\) ... ... "

How/why exactly does the fact that \(\displaystyle \theta\) is continuous on the set \(\displaystyle D\) imply that \(\displaystyle f\) is continuous in D ... ...
Question 2

In the above text by Palka we read the following:" ... ... we observe that \(\displaystyle \lim_{ h \to 0+ } \theta (z_0 - ih) = - \pi\) ... ... "Can someone please explain how/why \(\displaystyle \lim_{ h \to 0+ } \theta (z_0 - ih) = - \pi\) ... ...
Question 3

In the above example Palka asserts that \(\displaystyle -i \sqrt{ \mid z_0 \mid } = - \sqrt{z_0}\) ...

Can someone please demonstrate how/why this is the case ...
Help with the above questions will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Palka - 1 - Example 1.5, Section III - PART 1 ... .png
    Palka - 1 - Example 1.5, Section III - PART 1 ... .png
    1.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Palka - 2 - Example 1.5, Section III - PART 2 ... .png
    Palka - 2 - Example 1.5, Section III - PART 2 ... .png
    28.3 KB · Views: 61
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Bruce P. Palka's book: An Introduction to Complex Function Theory ...

I am focused on Chapter III: Analytic Functions, Section 1.2 Differentiation Rules ...

I need further help with other aspects of Example 1.5, Section 1.2, Chapter III ...

Example 1.5, Section 1.2, Chapter III, reads as follows:
My questions are as follows:
Question 1

In the above text by Palka we read the following:" ... ... Recall that the function \(\displaystyle \theta\) is continuous on the set \(\displaystyle D = \mathbb{C} \sim ( - \infty, 0]\) (Lemma II.2.4), a fact that makes it clear that \(\displaystyle f\), too, is continuous in \(\displaystyle D\) ... ... "

How/why exactly does the fact that \(\displaystyle \theta\) is continuous on the set \(\displaystyle D\) imply that \(\displaystyle f\) is continuous in D ... …
Because [tex]\sqrt{|z|}[/tex], |z| being positive, is continuous, and the composition of continuous functions is continuous.
Question 2
In the above text by Palka we read the following:" ... ... we observe that \(\displaystyle \lim_{ h \to 0+ } \theta (z_0 - ih) = - \pi\) ... ... "Can someone please explain how/why \(\displaystyle \lim_{ h \to 0+ } \theta (z_0 - ih) = - \pi\) ... …
You have dropped the condition that "\(\displaystyle z_0\) is real and negative". Since z=\(\displaystyle z_0\) is real and negative, the real part of \(\displaystyle z_0- ih\) is \(\displaystyle z_0\) and the imaginary part is \(\displaystyle -ih\), both negative numbers. We are in the fourth quadrant so the limit is \(\displaystyle -\pi\) rather than \(\displaystyle \pi\).

Question 3
In the above example Palka asserts that \(\displaystyle -i \sqrt{ \mid z_0 \mid } = - \sqrt{z_0}\) ...

Can someone please demonstrate how/why this is the case …
Again that is true because, in this case, \(\displaystyle z_0\) assumed to be "real and negative".
Help with the above questions will be much appreciated ...

Peter

HallsofIvy said:
Because [tex]\sqrt{|z|}[/tex], |z| being positive, is continuous, and the composition of continuous functions is continuous.
You have dropped the condition that "\(\displaystyle z_0\) is real and negative". Since z=\(\displaystyle z_0\) is real and negative, the real part of \(\displaystyle z_0- ih\) is \(\displaystyle z_0\) and the imaginary part is \(\displaystyle -ih\), both negative numbers. We are in the fourth quadrant so the limit is \(\displaystyle -\pi\) rather than \(\displaystyle \pi\).

Again that is true because, in this case, \(\displaystyle z_0\) assumed to be "real and negative".

Thanks for the help, HallsofIvy ...

You write ...

"Because [tex]\sqrt{|z|}[/tex], |z| being positive, is continuous, and the composition of continuous functions is continuous. ... "

Can you please show how to demonstrate that [tex]\sqrt{|z|}[/tex] is continuous ...

I know we require that \(\displaystyle \lim_{ z \to z_0 } \sqrt{|z|} = \sqrt{|z_0|}\) but why exactly is this true?

Can you help?

Peter

1. What is a complex square root function?

A complex square root function is a mathematical function that takes in a complex number as its input and returns the square root of that number as its output. It is written as f(z) = √z, where z is a complex number.

2. How is a complex square root function different from a regular square root function?

A regular square root function only takes in real numbers as its input, whereas a complex square root function takes in complex numbers. Additionally, a complex square root function can have two possible outputs, as a complex number can have two square roots.

3. What is the domain and range of a complex square root function?

The domain of a complex square root function is all complex numbers, and the range is also all complex numbers. This is because every complex number has a square root, which can be expressed as a complex number.

4. How can a complex square root function be graphed?

A complex square root function can be graphed on a complex plane, with the real part of the complex number on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. The output of the function will be a point on this plane.

5. Are there any special properties of a complex square root function?

Yes, a complex square root function has several special properties, such as the fact that the square of the square root of a complex number is equal to the original number. It also follows the same rules of exponents as a regular square root function.