Complexity of Go: Calculating the Game Tree Estimate

• Thread starter Astudious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complexity
In summary, there are various Internet sources that claim different figures for the complexity of the board game Go. It is estimated that on a 19x19 board, there are about 2.1x10^170 possible positions and 9.3x10^567 total games, with or without captures. The calculation for the total number of games without captures is based on (120!)^2, which represents the number of possible ways to reach a specific end if both players put down 120 stones. However, it is unclear why this calculation limits the stones to 120. The estimate for games with captures is 10^(7.49x10^48), although this may not be accurate. It is also noted that there
Astudious
I have found various Internet sources claiming words to the following effect, regarding the board-game Go:

"It is commonly said that no game has ever been played twice. This may be true: On a 19×19 board, there are about 3^361×0.012 = 2.1×10^170 possible positions, most of which are the end result of about (120!)^2 = 4.5×10^397 different (no-capture) games, for a total of about 9.3×10^567 games. Allowing captures gives as many as 10^(7.49×10^48) possible games, most of which last for over 1.6×10^49 moves! (By contrast, the number of legal positions in chess is estimated to be between 10^43 and 10^50, and physicists estimate that there are not more than 10^90 protons in the entire universe.)"

I would love to hear where certain of these figures come from, or perhaps to understand how to calculate the game-tree complexity of Go in the first place. Where (120!)^2 and 9.3×10^567 are coming from seems unclear, let alone 10^(7.49×10^48).

I would have thought that, disallowing captures, (19*19)! gives an estimate, but I appear to have severely overcounted as (19*19)! = 1.44*10^768.

Any idea how to reach a better estimate? Including with captures?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(120!)2 is the number of possible ways to reach a specific end if both players put down 120 stones (but not more) in various different orders (120 choices for the first stone, 119 for the second, ...). Multiply this by the number of possible positions and you get the quoted total number of games without captures. I don't know why this calculation limits the stones to 120. The Wikipedia article quotes 10761 which is very close to your estimate.

Captures make it hard...I am quite sure there are game that have been played more than once - like in Chess, players reproducing a previous game to study it.

1. What is the "Complexity of Go"?

The "Complexity of Go" refers to the level of difficulty involved in calculating the possible moves and outcomes in the game of Go. It is a measure of the complexity of the game's decision tree and the number of possible game states.

2. What is the "Game Tree Estimate"?

The "Game Tree Estimate" is a method used to calculate the complexity of Go. It involves estimating the number of possible moves and outcomes in the game tree, taking into account the board size and number of stones on the board.

3. How is the "Game Tree Estimate" calculated?

The "Game Tree Estimate" is calculated by multiplying the number of possible moves at each turn by the number of possible outcomes for each move. This is then repeated for each subsequent turn until a certain depth is reached, resulting in an estimate of the total number of possible game states.

4. Why is the "Complexity of Go" important?

The "Complexity of Go" is important because it helps us understand the level of difficulty involved in playing and mastering the game. It also helps in developing strategies and algorithms for AI players, and in comparing the complexity of Go to other board games.

5. Is the "Complexity of Go" finite or infinite?

The "Complexity of Go" is theoretically infinite. This is because the number of possible game states is constantly changing and expanding as the game progresses, making it impossible to accurately calculate the exact number of possible moves and outcomes. However, for practical purposes, the complexity can be estimated up to a certain depth in the game tree.