Composition > Illustrative Essay On Radio

In summary: I'm really struggling to come up with a thesis. Maybe I should just stop here. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
StarsFly
Composition > Illustrative Essay On "Radio"

Goal: 2-3 page essay on a topic of your choice. Must provide relevant photo's.

My topic of choice is electromagnetism. I chose this topic because we live in a wireless age. I thought it'd be neat to provide some back round info on how it all started.

I want to break my paper down as follows,

Intro

I. Invention/discovery of the 1st true electrical storage device (Volta VS Galvani)

II. Discovery of electromagnetism (Orsted/Faraday)

III. ?

Conclusion

The dispute between Galvani & Volta is just too interesting to leave out. Plus I can take it a step further & show how "Galvanism" inspired Mary Shelley to write Frankenstein. I need tangibility. She thinks I'm too cryptic & confusing.

I'm not sure what to do for paragraph III. Dedicate it to Marconi? After all, it was he who took "hertzian waves" out of the laboratory & into the real world.

Lastly, "radio" may seem a bit outdated by today's standards. But it was the 1st "form" of wireless communication. The point I want to make here is not much has changed. ...okay I take that back! I mean the principle of induction has not changed.

Comments?

"Marconi plays the mamba, listen to the radio"

^Some more tangibility. Everyone knows this song. I know Van Morrison has "brown eyed girl" (...transistor radio), but I'm stopping around the branly/coherer, so that'd be a bit irrelevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Under (I) you should start with the Leyden jar; then note its shortcomings (limited current, changing voltage) which is why little progress was made until the invention of the battery.

(II) And don't forget Ampere and Joseph Henry! - they all worked on the connections between electricity and magnetism.

(III) Hertz discovered electromagnetic waves; Tesla and Marconi both invented early radios - but the most significant step was the invention of the super heterodyne system (AM radio) by Armstrong:
http://antiqueradios.com/superhet/

Armstrong later invented FM. His life was one long patent battle ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Howard_Armstrong

We're all familiar with it; the hair on your hood straight from the dryer, a tingle on the tongue, the sudden, almost instantaneous discharge of a door handle after a swift walk across the carpet floor. It's a mysterious force-electricity. Tales of it's ___________ date back to ______________.

(Ancient Greece > Thales > lodestone & amber)

(Insert thesis here)

(Bridge to paragraph I)

I'm stuck on a thesis. Hmm...

"...though Thales had no idea this phenomena (amber & lodestones' "mysterious" properties) was actually just two manifestations of the same thing (electromagnetism)..."

That's not right either though. Amber; that's the electrostatic force.

"...Lodestone could be held in the hand, it's effects repeated at will. Amber on the other hand, was difficult to study > Instantaneous shocks. It would take another "x" years before a continuous/constant source of electricity would be invented ...that'd unify these thought to be two different forces of nature..."

"...Thales began studying amber/lodestone > he knew both had attractive forces, but if lodestone attracts iron, then why must amber not? & then I could bridge into the "continuous/constant" source of electricity (leyden/pile) that would come "x" yrs later that'd unify the sources together

& I need to somehow foreshadow the invention (discovery) of radio. "...revolutionize our modern world?" "would spark a revolution in wireless communication...

blah.

Last edited:

Related to Composition > Illustrative Essay On Radio

1. What is the purpose of an illustrative essay on radio?

The purpose of an illustrative essay on radio is to inform, educate, or entertain readers about a specific topic related to radio. It uses descriptive language and examples to paint a vivid picture and provide a deeper understanding of the subject.

2. What are some common topics for an illustrative essay on radio?

Some common topics for an illustrative essay on radio include the history of radio, the impact of radio on society, the evolution of radio technology, the role of radio in politics or popular culture, and the future of radio.

3. How is an illustrative essay on radio different from other types of essays?

An illustrative essay on radio differs from other types of essays in that it uses specific examples, anecdotes, and descriptive language to illustrate a point or concept. It also relies heavily on sensory details to engage the reader's imagination and create a more vivid experience.

4. What makes a good illustrative essay on radio?

A good illustrative essay on radio should have a clear and concise thesis statement, use relevant and specific examples, employ descriptive language to engage the reader's senses, and have a strong structure and organization. It should also be well-researched and provide a unique perspective on the topic.

5. How can an illustrative essay on radio benefit readers?

An illustrative essay on radio can benefit readers by providing them with a deeper understanding and appreciation for the topic. It can also introduce new information, spark critical thinking and discussion, and entertain readers with engaging and descriptive language. Additionally, it can help readers develop their own opinions and perspectives on the subject matter.

Back