Compressed Sensing: Solving an Optimization Problem with Minimum l1 Norm

• Thread starter maNoFchangE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compressed
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the speaker has a problem in their reading involving a matrix ##A##, column vector ##f##, and relation ##f=Ag## where ##g## is a column vector. The dimensions of these vectors and matrices are such that the matrix multiplication makes sense, but the solution for ##g## is not unique due to the number of rows in ##A## being less than the number of columns. The sought solution must have a minimum ##l_1## norm. The speaker is looking for help in identifying the type of optimization problem this falls under. It is determined to be a constrained linear least squares problem in linear programming, which can be solved using various optimization techniques.
maNoFchangE
I finally got a problem in my reading, so my problem is I am given a matrix ##A##, column vector ##f##, and a relation ## f = Ag## where ##g## is a column vector. The dimensions of those vectors and matrices are such that the above matrix multiplication makes sense, that is ## A## is not necessarily square. My goal is to compute ##g## but the number of rows of ##A## is less than the number of columns so that the solution is not unique. However the sought solution is required to be minimum in its ##l_1## norm, where ##l_1## norm of ##g## is defined to be ##||g||_1 = \Sigma_i^N |g_i|##, I guess some of you are familiar with this norm type from linear algebra.
The above problem is clearly an optimization problem, but as I know there are few types of optimization problem, so if you had recongnized such a problem can you tell me what type of optimization my problem belongs to? So that I can navigate directly to the right chapter in my textbooks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. I can understand your frustration when faced with a challenging problem in your reading. It seems that you are dealing with a linear optimization problem, also known as linear programming. In this type of problem, the goal is to optimize a linear objective function (in your case, the ##l_1## norm of ##g##) subject to linear constraints (in your case, the relation ##f=Ag##).

Specifically, your problem falls under the category of constrained linear least squares problems. The objective is to minimize the ##l_1## norm of ##g## while satisfying the given relation. This can be solved using various optimization techniques such as the simplex method or the interior point method.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the problem and leads you to the right chapter in your textbooks. Best of luck in your studies!

What is Compressed Sensing?

Compressed Sensing is a technique used in signal processing and data compression that allows for efficient sampling and reconstruction of signals or data using fewer measurements than traditional methods.

How does Compressed Sensing work?

Compressed Sensing works by exploiting the sparsity or compressibility of a signal or data set. It uses a specialized optimization problem, typically involving the minimization of the l1 norm, to reconstruct the original signal or data from a smaller number of measurements.

What is the significance of the l1 norm in Compressed Sensing?

The l1 norm, also known as the Manhattan norm, is used in Compressed Sensing because it is more effective at promoting sparsity than other norms. It allows for a more accurate reconstruction of the original signal or data from a smaller number of measurements, making it a key component in the Compressed Sensing process.

What are the advantages of using Compressed Sensing?

Compressed Sensing offers several advantages over traditional methods of signal processing and data compression. It allows for efficient data acquisition and transmission, reduces storage requirements, and can handle large and complex data sets more effectively.

What are the practical applications of Compressed Sensing?

Compressed Sensing has a wide range of applications in various fields, including medical imaging, telecommunications, remote sensing, and data science. It is particularly useful in scenarios where data acquisition, storage, or transmission is limited or expensive, making it a valuable tool in many real-world situations.