Compton scattering is inelastic?

In summary: This is a bit off-topic from the original question. So if you want to deal into this further, you should start a new thread.
bobie
Gold Member
I have a couple of simple questions:

- wiki says (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering) that it " is an example of inelastic scattering". Is that true?, isn't all energy lost by the photon absorbed by the electron?

- is the electron really at rest? doesn't his energy/momentum affect the outcome?

- is the scattering angle θ (or the sum of the angles ) dependent on the energy of the photon?
This applet (http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Radiography/Physics/comptonscattering.htm) gives the same curve for any value of energy.

- is there a lower threshold of energy under which the scattering cannot occur?

Thanks for your help

Science news on Phys.org
bobie said:
I have a couple of simple questions:

- wiki says (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering) that it " is an example of inelastic scattering". Is that true?, isn't all energy lost by the photon absorbed by the electron?

- is the electron really at rest? doesn't his energy/momentum affect the outcome?

- is the scattering angle θ (or the sum of the angles ) dependent on the energy of the photon?
This applet (http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Radiography/Physics/comptonscattering.htm) gives the same curve for any value of energy.

- is there a lower threshold of energy under which the scattering cannot occur?

Thanks for your help
1. It is called inelastic because the photon loses energy.
2. Electron is a bound atomic electron. Energy of the electron is small effect.
3. The angular distribution is usually given by the Klein-Nishina formula, which doesn't take into account the binding energy of the electron. It is good enough for most analyses.
4. Minimum energy is that required to knock electron out of atom. If the photon is completely absorbed, it is the photoelectric effect.

Likes 1 person
mathman said:
3. The angular distribution is usually given by the Klein-Nishina formula, which doesn't take into account the binding energy of the electron.
Thanks mathman,
if I got it right we might consider the scattering an elastic collision between 2 particles, one with variable energy-momentum and one with 0 energy-momentum.
- what I meant is:
the link I quoted says that if a photon (.15 MeV) hits an electron and is scattered at 45° (θ) , then the electron recoils at 300° (-60°); if the photon had 2, 3 etc (* .15) energy, would angle θ have been still 45° and the sum of the angles 105° ?
- does the formula imply that the maximum energy a photon can absorb is 2*.511 MeV? (when θ is 180°)

hello, mathman, when I read the post, I suddenly raise a problem. In quantum mechanics the particles have no trajectories. But in Compton scattering, how people can use the classical particle collision model to describe the effect ? I hope your answer, thank you !

athosanian said:
hello, mathman, when I read the post, I suddenly raise a problem. In quantum mechanics the particles have no trajectories. But in Compton scattering, how people can use the classical particle collision model to describe the effect ? I hope your answer, thank you !

First of all, scattering of light with other bodies can be described via the Born approximation.

Secondly, the scattering process is equivalent to the act of measurement, similar to you seeing a dot on a screen when an electron hits it. When you see that dot, you don't claim that particles have "no trajectories" anymore, do you? Same thing with Compton scattering. You are now already making a measurement of its momentum.

This is a bit off-topic from the original question. So if you want to deal into this further, you should start a new thread.

Zz.

athosanian said:

Compton scattering is usually described for high energy (gamma ray) photons, which act like particles in most interactions.

mathman said:
Compton scattering is usually described for high energy (gamma ray) photons, which act like particles in most interactions.
So, can we deal with scattering as we do with balls collision or there are some important differences?
- if so, does the scattering angle θ depend only on the contact angle (angle of recoil) or also on the photon energy?

The angular distribution is independent of the photon energy (Klein-Nishina formula). The angles after collision are related - conservation of momentum.

mathman said:
The angular distribution is independent of the photon energy (Klein-Nishina formula). The angles after collision are related - conservation of momentum.
Can someone, please, explain how the electron radius is related to the formula? (from wiki)
Note that this result may also be expressed in terms of the classical electron radius r_e=\alpha r_c. While this classical quantity is not particularly relevant in quantum electrodynamics, it is easy to appreciate: in the forward direction (for \theta ~ 0), photons scatter off electrons as if these were about r_e=\alpha r_c (~2.8179 fm) in linear dimension,

Related to Compton scattering is inelastic?

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (particle of light) collides with an electron, causing the photon to lose energy and change direction. This process is also known as inelastic scattering because the scattered photon has less energy than the original photon.

2. Why is Compton scattering considered inelastic?

Compton scattering is considered inelastic because the scattered photon has less energy than the original photon. This is due to the transfer of energy from the photon to the electron during the collision.

3. How does Compton scattering affect the wavelength of light?

During Compton scattering, the wavelength of the scattered photon increases compared to the original photon. This is known as the Compton shift and is a result of the energy transfer between the photon and electron.

4. What are the applications of Compton scattering?

Compton scattering has various applications in physics and other fields. It is used in medical imaging techniques, such as X-ray imaging, to produce images of the body's internal structures. It is also used in astronomy to study the properties of cosmic rays and high-energy particles.

5. How does the angle of scattering affect the energy of the scattered photon?

The energy of the scattered photon is directly related to the angle of scattering. As the angle of scattering increases, the energy of the scattered photon decreases. This can be seen in the Compton formula, which describes the change in energy of the scattered photon based on the angle of scattering.