Computational methods book for Turbulence

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a good book that can provide insight into computational methods for turbulence, specifically using MATLAB. The person is also looking for resources on turbulence models at the undergraduate level. The conversation ends with a recommendation for a book found on Amazon.
jamalkoiyess
Hello PF,

I am currently searching for a good book that could give me insight into the computational methods for turbulence. In the lab we work on MATLAB and I already have the data for the flow but I am searching for ways to extract properties from it: flatness, skewness, some averages, p.d.f.'s and structure functions.

Also if there is any good resource at the undergradaute level for the turbulence models of both Kolmogorov and Dubrulle.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
I found this on amazon and there are others listed at the bottom of the page:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521598869/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I just read the description and I am amazed. Thank you so much! just what I was searching for.

What is a computational methods book for turbulence?

A computational methods book for turbulence is a resource that provides information and techniques for solving problems related to turbulent flow using computer simulations. It typically covers topics such as numerical methods, turbulence models, and data analysis techniques.

Why is a computational methods book for turbulence important?

A computational methods book for turbulence is important because it allows scientists and engineers to gain a better understanding of turbulent flow, which is a complex and ubiquitous phenomenon in many fields such as aerospace, meteorology, and fluid mechanics. It also provides practical tools for simulating and analyzing turbulent flow, which can be applied in various industries.

What types of computational methods are typically covered in a book for turbulence?

A book for turbulence often covers a range of computational methods, including finite difference, finite volume, and spectral methods. These methods are used to solve the governing equations of turbulent flow, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, and can handle different types of flow configurations and boundary conditions.

Do computational methods books for turbulence require prior knowledge of programming?

While some familiarity with programming languages such as Fortran or C may be helpful, many computational methods books for turbulence are designed for readers with little or no programming experience. They often provide step-by-step instructions and code snippets for implementing the methods discussed in the book.

Are there any practical applications for a computational methods book for turbulence?

Yes, there are many practical applications for a computational methods book for turbulence. For example, it can be used to model and simulate turbulent flows in aircraft design, weather forecasting, and environmental studies. It can also be applied in industrial settings, such as designing more efficient turbomachinery or optimizing chemical processes.