Computer/System Security + Sencond Law of thermo

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the second law of thermodynamics to system security. The speaker, a Security Engineer, raises the question of whether securing a computer system is futile in the long run due to the increasing entropy and vulnerability of the system over time. They clarify that their thoughts are focused on computer and web application security and acknowledge that the computer is not a closed system, making the application of the law less applicable. Another reason for the potential vulnerability of a system over time is the emergence of new exploits and increased usage of older ones.
ryanluke86
Hello,
I am a Security Engineer and deal with system security. I have an interest in Physics and wondered if the second law of thermodynamics applied to system security.

My thought is... if you secure a [computer] system as much as possible (this can never be 100%) and leave it. Over time the entropy will increase and render that system vulnerable to attack.

I mainly deal with computer and web application security. So my thoughts are in that context. What I'm trying to say here is that time will eventually render a security system useless no matter how secure it was originally.

Any thoughts on this?

Science news on Phys.org
The computer is not a 'closed system' (since it's powered by a wall socket etc.) and therefore is not subject to that law.

One (non physics) reason it's more likely to get cracked if you set it for a while is because of new exploits and better / larger scale (and automated especially) use of older ones.

Related to Computer/System Security + Sencond Law of thermo

1. What is computer/system security?

Computer/system security refers to the protection of computer systems and networks from unauthorized access, use, or damage. This includes the use of hardware, software, and protocols to prevent attacks and ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data.

2. What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that in any closed system, the total entropy (disorder) will always increase over time. This means that systems tend to become less organized and more chaotic over time, unless energy is constantly added to maintain order.

3. How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics relate to computer/system security?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics can be applied to computer/system security in the sense that without ongoing efforts to maintain security, systems will naturally become more vulnerable to attacks and breaches. Just as energy is needed to maintain order in a physical system, constant updates and monitoring are needed to maintain security in a digital system.

4. What are some examples of computer/system security measures?

Some examples of computer/system security measures include firewalls, antivirus software, encryption, access controls, and regular system updates. These measures are designed to prevent unauthorized access, detect and remove malware, protect data from being intercepted or altered, and limit access to sensitive information.

5. How can I improve the security of my computer/system?

To improve the security of your computer/system, you can implement strong passwords, use multi-factor authentication, regularly update your software and operating system, be cautious of suspicious emails and websites, and regularly back up your data. It is also important to stay informed about current security threats and take necessary precautions to protect your system.