Computing an integral -- any method

In summary, the conversation was about finding the integral ## \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{ e^{-\sqrt{(x^2 + 1)}}}{(x^2 + 1)^2} dx ##. It was initially thought that contour integration could be used, but it was later realized that it might not be the best approach. The suggestion was made to solve it numerically, but the person needed an analytical result for their research. It was clarified that it was not a homework problem and finding the solution would help with solving the original integral in terms of certain constants.
Karthiksrao
Hi,

I have been trying to find an integral ## \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{ e^{-\sqrt{(x^2 + 1)}}}{(x^2 + 1)^2} dx ##.

I initially posted this question in the complex analysis forum since I felt it might be done using contour integration. However now I realize it might not be the best way to go about as the integral over the curve in complex space does not converge to zero as the radius of the curve tends to infinity.

Any suggestions on how I can get this integral done?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you do it numerically. What level of accuracy do you need? Wolfram Alpha says it is about 0.47569. Is that good enough?

aah, sorry. I do need an analytical result.

Karthiksrao said:
aah, sorry. I do need an analytical result.

I'm curious why. Is it a homework problem, then? It's a definite integral, so the answer is just a number. If you need the number for subsequent calculations, just call it β and plug in the numerical result when you get to the end.

phyzguy said:
I'm curious why. Is it a homework problem, then? It's a definite integral, so the answer is just a number. If you need the number for subsequent calculations, just call it β and plug in the numerical result when you get to the end.
Nope its not a homework problem. I do research in near-field electromagnetic physics. The original integral has several constants which will later be used for other results. I simplified the original integral to this form. If I solve this problem I will be able to solve the original integral in terms of those constants.

Related to Computing an integral -- any method

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to calculate the total value of a function within a given range.

2. Why do we need to compute integrals?

Integrals are used in many applications, such as physics and engineering, to find important values like distance, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used in statistics and probability to calculate probabilities and expected values.

3. What are the different methods for computing an integral?

There are several methods for computing integrals, including the Riemann sum, the trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule. These methods involve breaking the area under the curve into smaller, simpler shapes and using mathematical formulas to calculate their areas.

4. How do I know which method to use?

The method you use will depend on the complexity of the function and the accuracy you require. Generally, the more intervals you use in your calculation, the more accurate your result will be. It is also important to consider the shape of the function and choose a method that is best suited for that shape.

5. Are there any shortcuts for computing integrals?

Yes, there are some shortcuts for computing integrals, such as using symmetry, substitution, or integration by parts. However, these shortcuts require some knowledge and understanding of advanced calculus concepts.