Concentrating sunlight to accomplish projection (Art project)

In summary: Other light gathering structures you might want to consider are a big window, a big mirror, or a big lens.
Gabrielk
Hello!

First of all I want to say that I am not a physicist, but an artist currently doing my master thesis.

I have been trying to build a solar powered slide projector. It works very simple – I reflect sunlight through a slide and enlarge it with a lens.

My problem was that I wanted more juice. Stronger light.
I figured that I could concentrate sunlight somehow. I have tried to make a facett reflector that focus on a pair of condenser lenses… this has not been very successful I'm afraid.

Could it be that my condenser lenses has an EFL that is not the same as my fresnel enlarging lens?

Do you guys have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

I'm super grateful for any help what so ever! :D

Cheers!

Science news on Phys.org
Does it have to be sunlight?

Zuri Rohm said:
Does it have to be sunlight?

Yes sir!

That is very important. I have made various portable projectors powered by LEDs. But this I would like to use sunlight.

I think it would be sufficient if I could double the sunlight. Just one sun is not quite enough, at least this time a year.

Solutions:
A: Create a darker room to project your image in.
B: Bigger light gathering structures.
C: Go to a brighter place.

Watch this video:

Mk said:
Solutions:
A: Create a darker room to project your image in.
B: Bigger light gathering structures.
C: Go to a brighter place.

Watch this video:

A: Yes, I need to find optimal settings for this of course. But the room is supposed to be in public space. (Urban area)
B: Yes, that is what I am trying to accomplish by building a plane mirror facett structure. But I have a problem with diverging rays… I think this might have to do with the lenses I am using, not sure. My aim is to build this myself. Otherwise I could order a parabolic mirror to increase the light. But this does not compute with the overall idea of the project. (stupid artist)
C: Yes, I might have to do that. The thought has occurred.

Nice video and a super nice project.

If I would get a big fresnel lens like he has in the video and focus it on a plane mirror that redirects the light through my slide and enlarging lens. Would that work?

Can you think of other light gathering structures?

Thanks for your reply!

1. What is concentrating sunlight to accomplish projection?

Concentrating sunlight to accomplish projection is a technique used in art projects where sunlight is focused onto a specific area to create a projected image or design. This is typically achieved through the use of mirrors or lenses.

2. How does concentrating sunlight to accomplish projection work?

The sunlight is concentrated and directed towards a specific point using mirrors or lenses. The concentrated light then reflects off of the surface and creates a projected image or design.

3. What materials are needed to concentrate sunlight for projection?

The materials needed typically include a reflective surface such as mirrors or lenses, a projector or light source, and a surface to project onto.

4. What types of art projects can be created using this technique?

Concentrating sunlight for projection can be used to create a variety of art projects, such as outdoor installations, shadow art, and interactive art pieces. It can also be used for educational purposes, such as demonstrating the principles of optics and light.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when concentrating sunlight for projection?

Yes, it is important to exercise caution when using this technique as concentrated sunlight can be harmful to the eyes and skin. It is recommended to use protective eyewear and monitor the strength of the projected light to avoid any potential hazards.