Conceptual issue with rolling sphere and friction.

In summary, the author is talking about a situation where there is only one torque - the frictional force acting on a lever arm equal to the radius of the cylinder. If this is true, then how come ANY frictional force won't cause the thing to roll?
mfig
EDIT: Ooops, the title says sphere, but it is a cylinder. I cannot edit the title... sorry...

I saw this problem in a book and it is really bugging me. It is not a homework problem, I have the fully worked out solution in the book. I just have a conceptual problem.

Given a hollow cylinder of mass M and radius R on a ramp inclined at angle α, what coefficient of friction is necessary for the cylinder to roll down the ramp?
The author points out that there are two forces acting on the cylinder. One is the normal force and the other is the force of friction. The normal force acts perpendicular to the ramp, whereas the frictional force acts in the up-ramp direction, parallel to the ramp.

My problem is this: if we do a torque balance about the center of the cylinder, there is only one torque - the frictional force acting on a lever arm equal to the radius of the cylinder. If this is true, then how come ANY frictional force won't cause the thing to roll? In other words, what is this torque balancing against when it is the ONLY torque? It would seem that no matter how small, a frictional force is the only thing torquing the cylinder and so must cause it to roll. Yet the author says that it will not roll if the coefficient of friction is less than tan(α)/2 - it will only slide down the ramp.

Where is my logic wrong?? Thanks...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose the author is talking about rolling 'perfectly' (without sliding at the same time)
Cheers,

I suppose the author is talking about rolling 'perfectly' (without sliding at the same time)

I suppose so, but how does this resolve the problem?

Maybe I didn't understand your question ?
What I was saying is that, as you say, any friction will cause the cylinder to roll, but thee is a specific friction treshold that will allow the roll to be 'perfect' (the cylinder will not slide, just roll)

What I was saying is that, as you say, any friction will cause the cylinder to roll, but thee is a specific friction treshold that will allow the roll to be 'perfect' (the cylinder will not slide, just roll)

Now I understand what you meant. Perhaps that is it. The author seems to put it in terms of either it rolls or it slides. Here is link to the book. The one example is on the bottom of page 248. Here the author isn't quite as explicitly either-or on this example, but there is a follow-up problem on page 319 (problem 11.12), with the answer given on page 584 that sounds definitely like either-or.

http://www.ciberdigital.net/books/Cambridge_UP_-_Classical_Mechanics.pdf

I guess you must be correct though, it is not either sliding or rolling, it is either pure rolling or rolling with sliding if there is any friction whatsoever.

Thanks.

Related to Conceptual issue with rolling sphere and friction.

1. What is the conceptual issue with a rolling sphere and friction?

The conceptual issue with a rolling sphere and friction is that when a sphere is rolling on a surface, there is both static friction and rolling friction acting on the sphere. This can be confusing because the two types of friction seem to be opposite forces, but they are both necessary for the sphere to roll without slipping.

2. How does friction affect the motion of a rolling sphere?

Friction affects the motion of a rolling sphere by opposing the motion of the sphere. When a force is applied to the sphere, static friction acts in the direction opposite to the force, while rolling friction acts in the direction of motion. This causes the sphere to roll without slipping.

3. Why is the concept of rolling friction important in physics?

The concept of rolling friction is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects on surfaces. By understanding the interaction between the sphere and the surface, we can better predict and analyze the motion of the sphere.

4. Can rolling friction be reduced or eliminated?

Rolling friction cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced. This can be achieved by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as smoother and harder surfaces, or by reducing the weight of the sphere.

5. How does the shape of the sphere affect rolling friction?

The shape of the sphere can affect rolling friction because it determines the surface area in contact with the surface. A sphere with a larger surface area in contact with the surface will experience more friction than a sphere with a smaller surface area. This is why a ball rolls more easily than a cube or a cylinder.