Conceptually Relating 2nd Partials to Electrodynamics

In summary: He starts with the curl of the divergence and then gives a few examples of physical situations where it is useful.
RedneckPhysics
Hey All,

In deriving applications of Maxwell's equations in advanced electromagnetics, it seems like one is exposed to almost all of the vector calculus identities in the book! (or at least on the current Wikipedia entry :smile:).

Personally, I'm a non-traditional learner, and grasp advanced physics concepts the best when I can relate to them in a visuospatial manner (hey, it got me through a B.S. in AP, albeit slowly!).
Generally, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to conceptualize some of these more advanced mathematical statements in the context of what actually occurs physically. Sure, taking the curl of the divergence isn't a terribly advanced statement mathematically, but when attempting to conceptualize the behavior of a vector field without using pen and paper, or a computer, it can cause cranial pressures to asymptotically approach critical levels :smile:.

More specifically, it's been years since I took Calc. 3 and advanced E&M, and I'm having trouble with grasping how a vector field would appear when treated with each combination of the second partials of the del operator, curl and divergence.
For example, within Potential Theory (the electromagnetic application), the curl of the curl of a Magnetic potential field must be taken to forge the Maxwell-Ampere equation into a pretty nifty harmonic function. How would one visualize the curling of a curl at a point in R3? Is it akin to an acceleration of the magnitude of curling?
A vector identity equates this to the gradient of a divergence, minus the Laplacian, of a vector (or tensor) field. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to help me grasp what's physically happening in this case!Many Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the most intuitive picture for the vector-calculus operations you get from applying it to hydrodynamics. A very good summary is given in Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. 2 (fluid dynamics).

1. What are 2nd partials in electrodynamics?

In electrodynamics, 2nd partials refer to the second partial derivatives of electric and magnetic fields with respect to time and space. These derivatives are used to measure the rate of change of these fields over time and space, and are important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

2. How are 2nd partials related to Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism, involve second partial derivatives of electric and magnetic fields. These equations show how these fields are related to each other and to the sources of electromagnetic fields. Therefore, 2nd partials play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

3. Can 2nd partials be applied to both electric and magnetic fields?

Yes, 2nd partials can be applied to both electric and magnetic fields. These fields are closely related and are described by the same set of equations, so the concept of 2nd partials applies to both of them.

4. How do 2nd partials help in conceptual understanding of electrodynamics?

2nd partials provide a mathematical tool for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields. By analyzing the second derivatives of these fields, we can gain insights into how they change over time and space, and how they interact with each other and with sources. This conceptual understanding is crucial in many areas of electrodynamics, from understanding the propagation of electromagnetic waves to designing and optimizing electromagnetic devices.

5. Are there any real-world applications of 2nd partials in electrodynamics?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of 2nd partials in electrodynamics. For example, they are used in the design and analysis of antennas, radar systems, and other electromagnetic devices. They are also important in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves in various environments, such as in wireless communication systems or in the Earth's atmosphere.