Condenser capacity inversely proportional to source voltage - why?

In summary: I don't know how to finish that sentence. Anyway, thank you for your help!In summary, according to the conversation, capacitance is not inverse proportional to voltage. This means that, if the voltage changes, the capacitance changes as well. Resistance is inversely proportional to current, and mass is inversely proportional to the amount of charge.
carpetman
Hello everyone.
I indeed like to understand the things I am learning, and for the love of me, I cannot understand why, according to the formula, capacity of a condenser in a circuit consisted of said condenser and a power source is inversely proportional to the power source's voltage. Could you please help me get to the bottom of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
carpetman,
Condenser is a very old terminology. Is it a specific type of capacitor that you are studying that has capacitance inversely proportional to voltage? A varactor diode has this propery.

Ah, yes, my native language uses a word similar to "condenser" for "capacitor", that's what I meant, thanks! Its capacitance is inversely proportional to voltage indeed, and I'm having trouble figuring out what the cause of this would be. I apologize for my bad English!

No need to apologize,
Look up "varactor diode" or "varicap" on the Internet. This is actual a semiconductor diode operated in reverse bias. The depth of the depletion region increases with increased reverse bias, this decreases the capacitance.

Last edited:
carpetman said:
Hello everyone.
I indeed like to understand the things I am learning, and for the love of me, I cannot understand why, according to the formula, capacity of a condenser in a circuit consisted of said condenser and a power source is inversely proportional to the power source's voltage. Could you please help me get to the bottom of this?
Well, you don't say which formula but I suspect that you mean
C=Q/V, the definition of capacitance.
If this is the case, the capacitance of a given system (capacitor) is not inverse proportional to V. This would be the case if Q were a constant (which it is not). When V changes, Q changes as well.The meaning of the formula is that the ratio between Q and V is a constant and this constant is what is called capacitance.

If you mean something else, please show the formula.

the_emi_guy said:
No need to apologize,
Look up "varactor diode" or "varicap" on the Internet. This is actual a semiconductor diode operated in reverse bias. The depth of the depletion region increases with increased reverse bias, this decreases the capacitance.

Thanks mate, it's a bit clearer, but still a little over my head since I don't even have high school behind me. It seems to be what I'm looking for though, so I'll definitely educate myself further on the matter. Thanks again!

nasu said:
Well, you don't say which formula but I suspect that you mean
C=Q/V, the definition of capacitance.
If this is the case, the capacitance of a given system (capacitor) is not inverse proportional to V. This would be the case if Q were a constant (which it is not). When V changes, Q changes as well.The meaning of the formula is that the ratio between Q and V is a constant and this constant is what is called capacitance.

If you mean something else, please show the formula.

Yes, terribly sorry, I really should have put the formula to avoid confusion over my original question, C=Q/V is the formula in question.
Though, I would like to know exactly how the change of voltage with a constant charge affects the capacitance. I can understand that, the larger the charge is, the more electrons there are to fit into the capacitor, and therefore the capacitance is larger.
However, thinking it through, I would also assume (leaving aside that the calculations wouldn't work out, more as a thought experiment) that the greater the voltage, the greater will the capacitor's capacitance would be. Let me elaborate why my mind is inclined to think that:
The greater the voltage, the greater would essentially be "electron surplus-shortage" the difference between the power source's poles. I would say that, since one side of the power source is positively charged, therefore the same panel of the capacitor (assuming it's consisted of two panels with an insulator in between, easier for me to explain the situation if we assume this type of a capacitor) would also be positively charged, and the other side being negatively charged, the greater difference would amount to a greater electric force, effectively "pulling in" more electrons to the panel, increasing the capacity, and actually increasing the charge.
I know my logic is terribly flawed, but this is the most reasonable solution I can work out when imagining how this plays out on the microscale in a real circuit. I would really love to find out what exactly is happening inside the capacitor though. Thank you very much for your input!

Hey OP, so if write Ohm's Law as [itex]R = \frac{V}{I}[/itex], or Newton's Law as [itex]m = \frac{F}{a}[/itex], would you say that resistance is inversely proportional to the current, and mass is inversely proportional to the acceleration?

carpetman said:
Yes, terribly sorry, I really should have put the formula to avoid confusion over my original question, C=Q/V is the formula in question.
Though, I would like to know exactly how the change of voltage with a constant charge affects the capacitance. I can understand that, the larger the charge is, the more electrons there are to fit into the capacitor, and therefore the capacitance is larger.
However, thinking it through, I would also assume (leaving aside that the calculations wouldn't work out, more as a thought experiment) that the greater the voltage, the greater will the capacitor's capacitance would be. Let me elaborate why my mind is inclined to think that:

The greater the voltage, the greater would essentially be "electron surplus-shortage" the difference between the power source's poles. I would say that, since one side of the power source is positively charged, therefore the same panel of the capacitor (assuming it's consisted of two panels with an insulator in between, easier for me to explain the situation if we assume this type of a capacitor) would also be positively charged, and the other side being negatively charged, the greater difference would amount to a greater electric force, effectively "pulling in" more electrons to the panel, increasing the capacity, and actually increasing the charge.
I know my logic is terribly flawed, but this is the most reasonable solution I can work out when imagining how this plays out on the microscale in a real circuit. I would really love to find out what exactly is happening inside the capacitor though. Thank you very much for your input!
No, for a "normal" capacitor the capacitance does not depend on voltage. Is this simple.
And no, you cannot change the voltage when keeping the charge constant unless you change the actual configuration of your system. But then you have a different capacitor, with a different capacitance. And still independent of voltage.

Dickfore said:
Hey OP, so if write Ohm's Law as [itex]R = \frac{V}{I}[/itex], or Newton's Law as [itex]m = \frac{F}{a}[/itex], would you say that resistance is inversely proportional to the current, and mass is inversely proportional to the acceleration?

nasu said:
No, for a "normal" capacitor the capacitance does not depend on voltage. Is this simple.
And no, you cannot change the voltage when keeping the charge constant unless you change the actual configuration of your system. But then you have a different capacitor, with a different capacitance. And still independent of voltage.

Aha, I see what you guys mean. Thanks!

1. How does the voltage affect the capacity of a condenser?

The capacity of a condenser, also known as a capacitor, is inversely proportional to the source voltage. This means that as the source voltage increases, the capacity of the condenser decreases, and vice versa.

2. Why is the capacity of a condenser inversely proportional to the source voltage?

This relationship can be explained by the fundamental principles of capacitance. Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electrical charge, and it is directly proportional to the voltage. Therefore, as the voltage increases, the amount of charge that can be stored decreases, resulting in a decrease in capacitance.

3. Does this mean that a higher voltage is better for a condenser?

Not necessarily. The optimum voltage for a condenser depends on its intended use. In some cases, a lower voltage may be more suitable for the specific application. It is important to consider the voltage requirements and limitations of the circuit when choosing a condenser.

4. How does the size of the condenser affect this relationship?

The size of the condenser, or its physical dimensions, does not directly affect the inverse relationship between capacity and source voltage. However, the size of the condenser can affect its overall capacitance, which in turn can impact its performance in a circuit.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect this relationship?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the inverse relationship between condenser capacity and source voltage. These include the material used to make the condenser, the distance between the plates, and the dielectric material between the plates. These factors can all impact the overall capacitance and therefore affect the relationship with source voltage.