Condition on vector field to be a diffeomorphism.

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a condition on a vector field V(x) that would make the function x^µ → x^µ + V^µ(x) a diffeomorphism. Several approaches are mentioned, such as the use of the generator of the diffeomorphism group and the book Topics in Nonlinear Functional Analysis by L Nirenberg. Monotonicity is also suggested as a potential solution, although it only works in 1D. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement of the interesting and ongoing nature of the problem.
kroni
Hi everybody,

Let [itex] V(x) [/itex] a vector field on a manifold ([itex] R^2 [/itex] in my case), i am looking for a condition on [itex] V(x) [/itex] for which the function [itex] x^µ \rightarrow x^µ + V^µ(x) [/itex] is a diffeomorphism. I read some document speaking about the flow, integral curve for ODE solving but i fail to find a generic condition to avoid V to send two point on the same coordinate. I think about the generator of the diffeomorphism group but it's only defined infinitesimaly.

Thanks

Clément

Mathematics news on Phys.org
there are a lot of possible approaches to sufficient conditions. For example, if ##\sup_{x\in\mathbb{R}^2}\Big\|\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\Big\|## is small enough then it is a diffeomorphism. monotonicity assumption can also help. Perhaps the book Topics in Nonlinear Functional Analysis by L Nirenberg would be of use

Monotonicity work only in 1D,
[itex]\sup_{x\in\mathbb{R}^2}\Big\|\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\Big\|[\itex] is non local.
I will look in the book you advise. I find this problem really interesting, may be treated and treated again, but interesting

Thanks for your answer.

Clément

kroni said:
Monotonicity work only in 1D,
there is multidimensional version of monotonicity, by the way:)

1. What is a diffeomorphism?

A diffeomorphism is a function between two smooth manifolds that is smooth, bijective, and has a smooth inverse. In simpler terms, it is a function that is both smooth and has a one-to-one correspondence between its input and output values.

2. What conditions must a vector field satisfy to be a diffeomorphism?

In order for a vector field to be a diffeomorphism, it must have a non-vanishing Jacobian determinant at every point in its domain. This means that the vector field must not flatten or collapse any areas in its transformation.

3. Why is the non-vanishing Jacobian determinant important for a diffeomorphism?

The non-vanishing Jacobian determinant ensures that the vector field has a smooth inverse, meaning that every point in its range has a unique pre-image in its domain. This is necessary for a function to be bijective and for a one-to-one correspondence to exist.

4. Can a vector field be a diffeomorphism if it is not defined on the entire manifold?

No, a vector field must be defined on the entire manifold in order to be a diffeomorphism. This is because a diffeomorphism is a function between two smooth manifolds, and if the vector field is not defined on the entire manifold, then its transformation would not be well-defined.

5. What are some examples of vector fields that are not diffeomorphisms?

Some examples of vector fields that are not diffeomorphisms include those that have a zero Jacobian determinant at certain points, those that are not continuous or smooth, and those that do not have a unique inverse for every point in their range.