Conditional Probability exercise with dice

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability problem involving the sum of three dice and the probability of at least one of them being a certain number. The speaker suggests a method of counting all possible combinations but questions if there is a more efficient way. Another speaker introduces a mathematical approach using coefficients and suggests using a computer program to get a more accurate answer. The conversation ends with a discussion on finding the probability distribution of the outcomes.
Rampart
Hey there community, I have a question on an exercise. Actually it is a general question based on it. Here is the exercise:

We throw 3 dice. If we know that the sum of these 3 is 10, then what is the probability of at least one of them being 3?

Well now, this exercise is very simple. I mean I can always find all the couples such as( 1,5,4),(5,4,1)...
then I can find which of these couples contain at least one "3" and then we are done.
But for an unknown reason, I don't " like" this solution. I mean, is this really the clever way? How about if I had 1000 dice and i knew that the sum of those were 3864 for example, would I have to count all the couples to answer this?

So my question is, is there a possible way to answer this without having to count each and every couple that are out there? Because if there is, it would be nice to start figuring this out, with your help of course(if needed). Anyway, that's all. Thanks in advance for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes you can find a shortcut, but in general you often have to count the number of ways. There is, however, an interesting way to count in the dice problem:

The numbers of ways of getting a total of ##t## from the roll of ##n## dice is the coefficient of ##x^t## in

##(x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + x^5 + x^6)^n##

And, if you want to get that total without a 3, then that's the coefficient of ##x^t## in:

##(x + x^2 + x^4 + x^5 + x^6)^n##

This gives you a useful mathematical way to count, but it's still counting essentially.

Likes Rampart
It is indeed a very interesting approach. And now I can try some things as n is getting higher. Thank you again sir.

Rampart said:
It is indeed a very interesting approach. And now I can try some things as n is getting higher. Thank you again sir.

That's not something I know very much about, I'm sorry to say. You can do a lot by writing a computer program if you want to get a numerical answer for a specific type of problem. Let the computer do the counting.

You could get quite an accurate figure if you were first to find the probability distribution of the 1 to 6 outcomes given the total.
Edit:
To do that, we can use the conditional probability rule, P(A|B)P(B)=P(B|A)P(A), where
A is the event that die 1 (say) shows x
B is the event that the sum of all 1000 dice is y.
We wish to find P(A|B), and we can estimate the other three terms by approximating the sum of 1000 dice as a normal distribution.

Last edited:

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is calculated by dividing the probability of both events occurring by the probability of the first event occurring.

2. How is conditional probability used with dice?

In the context of dice, conditional probability can be used to determine the likelihood of rolling a certain number on one die, given that another specific number has already been rolled on another die. It can also be used to calculate the probability of rolling a certain total number when two dice are rolled.

3. Can you provide an example of conditional probability with dice?

Sure, let's say we have two fair six-sided dice. What is the probability of rolling a total of 7 when the first die is a 3? To solve this, we first calculate the probability of rolling a 3 on the first die, which is 1/6. Then, we calculate the probability of rolling a 4 on the second die (since 3+4=7), which is also 1/6. Therefore, the conditional probability of rolling a total of 7 given that the first die is a 3 is (1/6) / (1/6) = 1/6.

4. How does the number of dice affect conditional probability?

The number of dice used affects conditional probability in that it changes the possible outcomes and therefore, the likelihood of certain events occurring. For example, with two dice, the probability of rolling a total of 7 is higher than with one die, as there are more ways to get a 7 (1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, 6+1) compared to just one (3+4).

5. What is the difference between conditional probability and joint probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. Joint probability, on the other hand, is the likelihood of two events occurring together. In the context of dice, conditional probability would be used to determine the probability of rolling a certain number on one die given that another number has already been rolled on another die. Joint probability would be used to determine the probability of rolling a specific combination of numbers on two dice.