Conductors in the triboelectric series

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conductors and their ability to easily transfer electrons. The question arises about why copper becomes negative when rubbed with insulators, despite having a weaker hold on its outer electrons as a conductor. The explanation may lie in the insulator's desire to grab an extra electron, while metals easily give up their conduction band electrons.
KV789
I teach electricity in grade 9. For the concept of conductors, they are described in the textbook as atoms where the outer electrons can easily move from one atom to another (e.g. copper). But I noticed that on the triboelectric series, copper and other metals are listed as having a strong(er) hold on electrons when charged by friction with something like wool or glass (which are considered electric insulators). I guess my question is how do I explain why copper becomes negative when rubbed with insulators like wool/silk/glass if copper also has a weaker hold on its outer electrons as a conductor?

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
That is a really good question, and I also want to know the answer.

Maybe electrons are being wiped from the insulator because they prefer the more positive copper where the surface has been swept clear of some electrons, inducing a local positive charge at the point of contact.

Likes KV789
I think this is all about the "wool/silk/glass" and how much it wants to grab an extra electron. Metals can easily give up their conduction band electrons to a receptor. If so, it will then be harder to remove additional electrons from the metal because of the charge imbalance.

Likes KV789

1. What is the triboelectric series?

The triboelectric series is a list of materials ranked in order of their tendency to gain or lose electrons when they come into contact with other materials.

2. What are conductors in the triboelectric series?

Conductors in the triboelectric series are materials that have a high tendency to lose or gain electrons, making them good at conducting electricity.

3. What are some examples of conductors in the triboelectric series?

Some examples of conductors in the triboelectric series include metals such as gold, silver, copper, aluminum, and iron.

4. How do conductors in the triboelectric series affect static electricity?

Conductors in the triboelectric series can either enhance or reduce the buildup of static electricity, depending on their position in the series. Materials higher in the series are more likely to lose electrons and become positively charged, while materials lower in the series are more likely to gain electrons and become negatively charged.

5. Can the position of a conductor in the triboelectric series change?

Yes, the position of a conductor in the triboelectric series can change depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and surface conditions. These factors can affect the ability of materials to gain or lose electrons, altering their position in the series.