Confirmation of understanding of electrodynamics

In summary, the conversation is about the failure of Maxwell's equations for electron orbiting the atom and the explanation for this phenomenon being the emission of electromagnetic radiation (EMR) due to the acceleration of charges. The conversation also touches on the concept of synchrotron radiation and how EMR carries away energy from the charge. The conversation ends with a request for a link to a figure explaining this concept.
polomeister
Hi

I'm trying to get my head round why Maxwell's equations fail for the electron going round the atom.

The common sentence I see is along the lines of:

"Accelerating charges emit electromagnetic radiation (EMR), and a point electron orbiting a point nucleus would continually accelerate, therefore emit radiation, lose energy and fall into the atom"

However I can't find a derivation of this (could someone provide a link?)

What I have found is:
- a point charge has an electric field emanating from it
- if you vary an electric field then (via maxwells equations) this sets up waves throughout the field, to which we ascribe the interpretation of EMR

Is this correct?

If so, why do the waves carry energy away from the point charge, why can't they just be changes in the electric field without draining energy from the charge?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up synchrotron radiation (in Wikipedia, e.g.) for a discussion of how charges radiate during acceleration. The power density of EMR is given quantitatively by integrating the Poynting vector over a closed surface surrounding the charge. Thus energy is continually carried away by radiation.

Hi there! See the figure in this PDF: http://www2.astro.psu.edu/~niel/astro485/derivations/baker-larmor.pdf

Likes 1 person

1. What is electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields, their interactions with each other, and their effects on charged particles.

2. How is electrodynamics different from electromagnetism?

Electrodynamics is a more general term that encompasses the study of electric and magnetic fields, while electromagnetism specifically deals with the behavior of these fields in the presence of moving charges.

3. What are the fundamental equations of electrodynamics?

The fundamental equations of electrodynamics are Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with each other.

4. How is electrodynamics applied in everyday life?

Electrodynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, the generation and transmission of electricity, and the development of technologies like wireless communication and MRI machines.

5. What are some current areas of research in electrodynamics?

Current areas of research in electrodynamics include the study of electromagnetic waves, the behavior of materials in electric and magnetic fields, and the development of new technologies that utilize electromagnetic phenomena.