Conflicting definition of degree of freedom in Kinetic Theory of Gases

In summary, the excerpt from the textbook is formatted inaccurately and can be misleading to students. I recommend using another book to learn about statistical physics.
vcsharp2003
TL;DR Summary
Is degree of freedom just an independent term/variable/coordinate or the number of independent terms/variables/coordinates?
I am seeing conflicting definitions of degree of freedom in my textbook. If I look at the definition given as per screenshot below then it is the number of independent terms/variables/coordinates used to define the energy of a molecule. But, if I look at the statement of Equipartition of energy that is given below the definition, then it seems that degree of freedom is any one of independent terms/variables/coordinates used to get energy of a molecule.

I think degree of freedom should just be the independent term/variable/coordinate.

CamScanner 02-15-2023 19.48_3.jpg

Science news on Phys.org
Why do you think the two paragraphs conflict?

Doc Al said:
Why do you think the two paragraphs conflict?
The first paragraph says that degree of freedom is the number of independent variables.

The second paragraph is is meaning degree of freedom to be the independent variable.

Ah, I think I see what you're saying. I can appreciate the confusion.

I would have said something like: A monatomic gas molecule has three degrees of freedom, a diatomic molecule has five, etc. And the equipartition of energy gives the average energy associated with each degree of freedom.

Likes vcsharp2003
For me the excerpt from the book is formulated so inaccurately that it's even errorneous and misleading. I trcommend to use another book. I'd rdcommend the Berkeley physics course volume on Statistical Physics (the "little Reif").

Likes vcsharp2003
Doc Al said:
Ah, I think I see what you're saying. I can appreciate the confusion.

I would have said something like: A monatomic gas molecule has three degrees of freedom, a diatomic molecule has five, etc. And the equipartition of energy gives the average energy associated with each degree of freedom.
Yes, that makes perfect sense; I mean the last paragraph.

It appears that degree of freedom means the independent coordinate/variable/term.

vanhees71 said:
For me the excerpt from the book is formulated so inaccurately that it's even errorneous and misleading. I trcommend to use another book. I'd rdcommend the Berkeley physics course volume on Statistical Physics (the "little Reif").
I agree. Its clearly confusing since a student reading these paragraphs from that book would be left wondering "What exactly is a degree of freedom".

The correct statement for the equipartition theorem is that any phase-space-degree of freedom, which enters the Hamiltonian quadratically (!!!) contributes ##k_{\text{B}} T/2## per particle to the (mean) energy. E.g., for an ideal mon-atomic gas, the single-particle Hamiltonian is ##H=\vec{p}^2/(2m)##, and thus the mean energy per particle is ##3 k_{\text{B}} T/2##. For two-atomic (and more-atomic) molecules you have two (three) more rotational degrees of freedom. This is when the vibrational modes are still frozen, i.e., at not too high temperatures. At higher temperatures you get additional vibrational degrees of freedom and the corresponding contributions to the mean energy per particle (in the harmoni-oscillator approximation).

Likes vcsharp2003

What is the definition of degree of freedom in Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The degree of freedom in Kinetic Theory of Gases refers to the number of independent ways in which a molecule can move in a gas. It is a measure of the number of variables needed to describe the motion of a molecule in a gas.

Why is there a conflicting definition of degree of freedom in Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The conflicting definition of degree of freedom in Kinetic Theory of Gases arises from the different approaches used to describe the motion of molecules in a gas. Some approaches consider rotational and vibrational motion, while others only consider translational motion.

Which definition of degree of freedom is correct in Kinetic Theory of Gases?

Both definitions of degree of freedom in Kinetic Theory of Gases are correct, but they are used in different contexts. The simpler definition, which only considers translational motion, is used in basic calculations, while the more complex definition is used in more advanced calculations.

How does the definition of degree of freedom affect the behavior of gases?

The definition of degree of freedom affects the behavior of gases by influencing their thermodynamic properties, such as temperature and pressure. The more degrees of freedom a molecule has, the more energy it can store, leading to a higher temperature and pressure in the gas.

What are some examples of molecules with different degrees of freedom in Kinetic Theory of Gases?

Some examples of molecules with different degrees of freedom in Kinetic Theory of Gases include monatomic gases, such as helium, which only have translational motion and therefore have 3 degrees of freedom, and diatomic gases, such as oxygen, which also have rotational motion and therefore have 5 degrees of freedom.