Confused about Boyle's Law, Charles' Law and the pressure Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Boyle's Law and Charles's Law, as well as the confusion around how the two equations can be combined. The speaker suggests that the two laws may not be able to be combined due to their assumptions of constant temperature and pressure. They also mention that they have found a solution using Boyle's Law and the pressure law.
21joanna12
In my textbook, it says that pV=C (Boyle's Law), V/T=C (Charle's Law) and that P/T=C (pressure Law). The problem is that I cannot see how the first two equations combine to give the last one. If I divide the first equation by the second, I get that pT=C, which certainly is not the same as the equation given in my textbook. I'm not sure if maybe you cannot combine these two equations because Boyl's law assumes constant temperature but Charle's Law assumes constant pressure? Although I don't see why that would mean you cannot combine them...

I'm not sure if I should have posted this here or in classical physics, so I will move it if necessary.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
14148518804882057963316.jpg

I've done this using boyles law and the pressure law, but you can do the same thing using Boyles law and Charles law

IMG_20141101_193953.jpg

Likes 21joanna12
Thank you!

Glad I could have been of help

1. What is Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law states that for a fixed amount of gas at a constant temperature, the pressure and volume of the gas are inversely proportional to each other. In other words, as the volume of the gas decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa.

2. What is Charles' Law?

Charles' Law states that for a fixed amount of gas at a constant pressure, the volume and temperature of the gas are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the temperature of the gas increases, the volume also increases, and as the temperature decreases, the volume decreases.

3. How are Boyle's Law and Charles' Law related?

Boyle's Law and Charles' Law are both gas laws that describe the behavior of gases under different conditions. While Boyle's Law deals with the relationship between pressure and volume, Charles' Law deals with the relationship between temperature and volume. Together, these laws help us understand how gases behave under different circumstances.

4. What is the pressure law?

The pressure law, also known as Gay-Lussac's Law, states that for a fixed amount of gas at a constant volume, the pressure and temperature of the gas are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the temperature of the gas increases, the pressure also increases, and as the temperature decreases, the pressure decreases.

5. How can I use these gas laws in my experiments?

Understanding Boyle's Law, Charles' Law, and the pressure law can help you predict and explain the behavior of gases in various experimental conditions. By manipulating one variable while keeping the others constant, you can observe the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature and make accurate predictions about the behavior of gases in your experiments.