Confused about the volume of a rigid (glass) container

In summary, understanding the volume of a rigid (glass) container can be confusing because it is not always clear how to measure it. It is important to remember that the volume of a container is the amount of space inside, which can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height. It is also important to consider the thickness of the container walls and subtract that from the total volume to get the actual usable space. Additionally, the volume of a container can change depending on the shape and orientation, so it is important to be specific when measuring.
sp3sp2sp

Homework Statement

This is for a lab report and I am just confused about how I should regard volume because this issue is affecting 3 other questions. If you heat a gas in a closed flask that is connected to a manometer with water in it, the water level goes up (the arm open to atmosphere rises and arm connected to flask goes down). But it now asks about the volume, as I heat the gas. Does it change? Its a glass flask so obviously the volume in flask won't or can't change but the gas excerts pressure through a rubber tube connected to arm of manometer and that causes water level to rise.
So should I consider that the Volume of the gas does change? Because the gas has expanded into the tubing right? ..Or should I say V of gas does not change? Because the gas is in a rigid container that has fixed volu?

I know that increased T will increase P if V kept constant and that if P kept constant V must increase to compensate. But I don't understand how I should regard the gas in this apparatus. Is it constant or not?
Thanks for any help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, you can assume that the change in volume due to the manometer should be negligible compared to the total volume of the flask.

Hi ! A couple of thoughts...

A volumetric flask is calibrated at a specific temperature, usually 20'C, due to expansion, resulting flexing etc. There will not be much change around ambient conditions, but be aware and log the temperature for reference.

When we tested 'collapse revival' ampoules and collected the gas in a manometer, beside correcting for ambient temperature and atmospheric pressure, we levelled the menisci to equilibrate internal and external pressures...

1. What is the difference between volume and capacity?

Volume refers to the amount of space inside a container, while capacity refers to the maximum amount of something that a container can hold. In other words, volume is a measurement of space, while capacity is a measurement of the amount of a substance or material.

2. How is the volume of a rigid container calculated?

The volume of a rigid container can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the container. For example, if a container has a length of 10 cm, a width of 5 cm, and a height of 3 cm, the volume would be 150 cubic cm (10 x 5 x 3 = 150).

3. Why is the volume of a glass container important?

The volume of a glass container is important because it determines how much liquid or other substances it can hold. This is especially important for scientific experiments or in industries where precise measurements are necessary.

4. Can the volume of a glass container change?

The volume of a glass container is rigid and cannot change. However, the amount of substance inside the container can change, which may give the illusion of a change in volume. This is due to the substance settling or expanding, but the actual volume of the container remains the same.

5. What are some common units of measurement for volume?

Some common units of measurement for volume include cubic centimeters (cm³), cubic meters (m³), liters (L), and gallons (gal). It is important to use the appropriate unit of measurement depending on the size of the container and the substance being measured.