Confusion with definition and notation of reciprocal.

In summary: There are other ways to write that: x^-1 is "x raised to the power -1" which is also "1 divided by x".In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and notation for multiplicative inverse. The multiplicative inverse of a rational number a/b is b/a and it is obtained by flipping the numbers or dividing 1 by the number. The symbol 1/x indicates division by x and is a unique symbol for the number 1/x. The conversation also mentions alternative notations for division and multiplication.
infranatural
Hello everyone,

I have some conceptual issues with aforementioned definitions.

How is exactly multiplicative inverse defined? Say, for a rational, nonzero number a/b, its reciprocal is b/a. Is there a certain operation that transforms a/b to b/a?

Also, the notation for multiplicative inverse of any real number (except zero) x is 1/x. Is 1/x a unique symbol or one that indicates operation of division of 1 by x?
For example, if x=2/3, should i see its inverse as 1/x=3/2, or as an operation of division, that is 1/x=1/(2/3)? I know that in the end the answer is the same, but what i'd like to know is if division is included in the "process" of obtaining that inverse or is it by definition that we just "flip" the numbers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey,

a^-b

(a "raised to" -b)

Or do you mean an alternative way to this too?

The Jericho said:
Hey,

a^-b

(a "raised to" -b)

Or do you mean an alternative way to this too?

No, no, a/b, a rational number, where a is some nonzero integer, and b is a natural number. No exponentiation here.

If a is any non-zero number then its reciprocal is defined as the number, b, such that ab= 1.

"Is 1/x a unique symbol or one that indicates operation of division of 1 by x?" Yes, it indicate division of 1 by x. If ab= 1, and a is not 0, we can divide both sides by a to get b= 1/a.

Your question seems to be more about notation than mathematics.

Greetings,

I understand your confusion with the definition and notation of reciprocal. Let me provide some clarification on this topic.

To start, the multiplicative inverse of a number is defined as the number that, when multiplied by the original number, gives a product of 1. In the case of a rational number a/b, its multiplicative inverse would be b/a. This can also be thought of as "flipping" the numerator and denominator. There is not a specific operation that transforms a/b to b/a, it is simply a matter of understanding the concept of a multiplicative inverse.

Regarding the notation, 1/x is a unique symbol that represents the multiplicative inverse of x. It is not indicating the operation of division, but rather it is a shorthand way of writing the inverse. So for your example, if x=2/3, its inverse would be written as 1/x=3/2, not as 1/x=1/(2/3). However, both expressions ultimately represent the same number, just written in a different way.

I hope this clears up any confusion you may have had. It is important to understand the concept of a multiplicative inverse and how it relates to division, but in terms of notation, it is simply a matter of convention. Keep exploring and questioning, that is the essence of science!

Related to Confusion with definition and notation of reciprocal.

1. What is the definition of reciprocal?

The reciprocal of a number is the number that, when multiplied by the original number, equals 1. In other words, the reciprocal of x is 1/x.

2. How is the reciprocal symbolized?

The reciprocal of a number can be symbolized in a few different ways, including using the notation x-1 or writing the fraction 1/x.

3. What is the difference between a reciprocal and an inverse?

While they may seem similar, a reciprocal is the inverse of a single number, while an inverse is the operation that undoes another operation. For example, the reciprocal of 5 is 1/5, while the inverse of multiplying by 5 is dividing by 5.

4. Can a number have a reciprocal of 0?

No, a number cannot have a reciprocal of 0. This is because 1/0 is undefined, meaning it has no numerical value.

5. How is the reciprocal used in mathematics?

The reciprocal is commonly used in mathematical operations, such as dividing fractions or solving equations. It is also used in various real-life applications, such as finding the unit rate in a ratio or calculating resistance in electrical circuits.