Conjecture about the Prime Zeta Function

In summary, the conversation revolved around the Prime Zeta Function and a conjecture that it is approximately equal to e divided by the product of the (s)th prime and the (s-1)th prime. The speaker also mentioned the possibility of defining non-integer prime numbers.
David Carroll
I was fooling around with the Prime Zeta Function just recently.

Prime Zeta Function, P(s), is defined as Σ1/(p^s), where p is each successive prime. When inputting various positive integer values for (s) on wolfram alpha, I noticed a pattern. Well, an approximate pattern, I should say.

My conjecture is that P(s) ≈ e/(the (s)th prime times the (s - 1)th prime).

E.g. (values computed on wolfram alpha)

P(2) ≈ .4522474 ≈ e/6 = e/(2 * 3) = e/(1st prime times the 2nd prime)
P(3) ≈ .1747626 ≈ e/15 = e/(3 * 5) = e/(2nd prime times the 3rd prime)
P(4) ≈ .0769931 ≈ e/35 = e/(5 * 7) = e/(3rd prime times the 4th prime)
P(5) ≈ .035755 ≈ e/77 = e/(7 * 11) = e/(4th prime times the 5th prime)

etc.

If any of this is correct (and if we could get rid of the errors), then we could divide P(s-1) by P(s) and get the ratio [(s + 1)th prime]/[(s - 1)th prime], but then I wouldn't know how to manipulate this any further to extract simply the (s + 1)th prime, the (s)th prime and so forth. But if we/I could, then we can input non-integer values into P(s) and define what the "2.5th" prime is, for example.

Any thoughts?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
2 words: Never Mind.

1. What is the Prime Zeta Function?

The Prime Zeta Function is a mathematical function that is closely related to the Riemann Zeta Function. It is defined as the sum of the inverse of all prime numbers raised to a certain power. It is denoted by P(s) and can be expressed as P(s) = ∑ (1/p^s), where p is a prime number and s is a complex number with real part greater than 1.

2. What is the significance of the Prime Zeta Function?

The Prime Zeta Function is important in number theory and the study of prime numbers. It is closely related to the distribution of prime numbers and has connections to other important mathematical functions, such as the Riemann Zeta Function and the Dirichlet L-functions. It also has applications in cryptography and coding theory.

3. What is the Riemann Hypothesis and its connection to the Prime Zeta Function?

The Riemann Hypothesis is a famous conjecture in mathematics that states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann Zeta Function lie on the critical line, which is the line with real part equal to 1/2. The Prime Zeta Function is closely related to the Riemann Zeta Function and the Riemann Hypothesis is equivalent to the statement that all non-trivial zeros of the Prime Zeta Function also lie on the critical line.

4. Are there any known results or proofs related to the Prime Zeta Function?

There are several known results and proofs related to the Prime Zeta Function, but the Riemann Hypothesis is still an open problem. Some important results include the Prime Number Theorem, which shows the asymptotic behavior of the Prime Zeta Function, and the PNT analogues for the Prime Zeta Function, which provide explicit upper and lower bounds for the function.

5. What are some current research topics or open problems related to the Prime Zeta Function?

Some current research topics and open problems related to the Prime Zeta Function include finding more precise estimates for the function, exploring its connections to other mathematical functions, and studying its behavior on different regions of the complex plane. Additionally, proving or disproving the Riemann Hypothesis remains a major open problem in mathematics.