Connection forms and dual 1-forms for cylindrical coordinate

In summary: But I don't know how to generate the 1-forms for a frame field when I don't have a coordinate system associated with it.
Gene Naden
I ran across exercise 2.8.4 in Oneill's Elementary Differential Geometry. It says "Given a frame field ##E_1## and ##E_2## on ##R^2## there is an angle function ##\psi## such that ##E_1=\cos(\psi)U_1+\sin(\psi)U_2##, ##E_2=-\sin(\psi)U_1+\cos(\psi)U2##

(where ##U_1##, ##U_2##, ##U_3## are the natural (rectangular) unit vectors)

express the connection form and dual 1-forms in terms of ##\psi## and the natural coordinates x,y."

For the connection forms I get ##\omega_{12}=-\omega_{21}=d\psi## with the other components zero. For the dual 1-forms I had difficulty. The definition of dual 1-forms states they are the 1-forms ##\theta_i## such that ##\theta_i(v)=v\cdot E_i(p)## for each tangent vector v. I have difficulty applying this definition. One reason is that it is independent of any coordinate system.

I noticed that the given frame field matches the frame field of cylindrical coordinates with the angle ##\psi##. So that was my answer, the dual 1-forms of cylindrical coordinates: ##\theta_1=dr## where ##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}## and ##\theta_2=rd\psi##.

So my question is, is my answer correct? Can I just pick a coordinate system and use it to compute the dual 1-forms?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is still an open question for me: how do you generate the 1-forms for a frame field when you don't have a coordinate system associated with that field. Perhaps the correct tactic is to somehow derive a coordinate system and then use that set of coordinates to get the 1-forms.

Gene Naden said:
So my question is, is my answer correct? Can I just pick a coordinate system and use it to compute the dual 1-forms?
Yes, except the question asks you to do it in the natural coordinates ##x,y##.

So I get ##\theta_1=\frac{xdx+ydy}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}## and ##\theta_2=\frac{-ydx+xdy}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}##

I got this from the cylindrical coordinate transformation. I am not sure this is the right approach; it says to use natural coordinates.

1. What are connection forms in cylindrical coordinates?

Connection forms in cylindrical coordinates are mathematical objects used in differential geometry to describe the geometric properties of a curved space. They are used to define a connection, which is a way to measure how a vector changes as it moves along a curve on a curved space.

2. How are connection forms related to dual 1-forms in cylindrical coordinates?

Connection forms and dual 1-forms are two different ways of describing the same geometric concept. Connection forms are used to define a connection, while dual 1-forms are used to describe the curvature of a space. In cylindrical coordinates, the connection forms and dual 1-forms are related by a transformation matrix.

3. What do connection forms and dual 1-forms tell us about cylindrical coordinates?

Connection forms and dual 1-forms provide information about the geometric properties of a curved space in cylindrical coordinates. They can tell us about the curvature, torsion, and other properties of the space, which are important in applications such as general relativity and fluid dynamics.

4. How are connection forms and dual 1-forms used in physics?

In physics, connection forms and dual 1-forms are used to describe the geometric properties of a space in which physical phenomena occur. For example, in general relativity, connection forms are used to describe the curvature of spacetime, while dual 1-forms are used to describe the gravitational field.

5. Are connection forms and dual 1-forms unique to cylindrical coordinates?

No, connection forms and dual 1-forms can be defined in any coordinate system, including cylindrical coordinates. They are important mathematical tools in differential geometry and are used to study curved spaces in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.