Consequence of Hilberts Nullstellensatz - Dummit & Foote, Section 15.2

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Section
In summary, Peter is trying to understand the basics of algebraic geometry and is reading Dummit and Foote (D&F) Chapter 15: Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry. He has read the section on radicals and affine varieties and is struggling with a consequence of the Hilbert's Nullstellensatz. He asks for help with understanding the proof and context of the theorem.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am trying to gain an understanding of the basics of elementary algebraic geometry and am reading Dummit and Foote (D&F) Chapter 15: Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry ...

At present I am focused on Section 15.2 Radicals and Affine Varieties ... ...

I need help with understanding a consequence of Hilbert's Nullstellensatz which D&F mention after stating the Theorem ...

Hilbert's Nullstellensatz (D&F Section 15.2, page 675) and a particular consequence mentioned on page 676, read as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4824
View attachment 4825In the above text from Dummit and Foote, we read the following:

" ... ... One particular consequence of the Nullstellensatz is that for any proper ideal \(\displaystyle I\), we have \(\displaystyle \mathcal{Z} (I) \neq \emptyset\) since \(\displaystyle \text{ rad } I \neq k[ \mathbb{A}^n ]\). ... ... "
I cannot see how Hilbert's Nullstellensatz implies the statement that \(\displaystyle \text{ rad } I \neq k[ \mathbb{A}^n ] \Longrightarrow \mathcal{Z} (I) \neq \emptyset \)Can anyone demonstrate formally and rigorously how this statement follows from Hilbert's Nullstellensatz as stated by D&F?Help will be appreciated ...

Peter***EDIT***

In order to help MHB readers to understand the context and the terminology of the above post fully, I am providing D&F's definition of \(\displaystyle \mathcal{Z} (S)\) where \(\displaystyle S\) is a set of \(\displaystyle k\)-valued functions on \(\displaystyle \mathbb{A}^n\) ... ... as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4826
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4827
***EDIT 2*** ***EDIT 2*** ***EDIT 2***I have been reflecting on proving the "consequence" mentioned above ... here are my thoughts ... ...

We want to show that given Hilbert's Nullstellensatz that:

\(\displaystyle \text{ rad } I \neq k [ \mathbb{A}^n] \ \Longrightarrow \ \mathcal{Z} (I) \neq \emptyset \) ... ... ... (1)

But showing (1) is equivalent to showing the contrapositive, namely:

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{Z} (I) = \emptyset \ \Longrightarrow \ \text{ rad } I = k [ \mathbb{A}^n]\) ... ... ... (2)But by Hilbert's Nullstellensatz we have:

\(\displaystyle \text{ rad } I = \mathcal{I} ( \mathcal{Z} (I) )\)and so (2) becomes:

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{Z} (I) = \emptyset \ \Longrightarrow \ \mathcal{I} ( \mathcal{Z} (I) ) = k [ \mathbb{A}^n]\)Thus, essentially, we need to show that:

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{I} ( \emptyset ) = k [ \mathbb{A}^n]\)BUT ... how do we interpret \(\displaystyle \mathcal{I} ( \emptyset )\) ... ... it does not seem to have a straightforward interpretation ... ... ... ... thinking ... well ... \(\displaystyle \mathcal{I} ( A )\) is defined as follows:

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{I} ( A ) = \{ f \in k [ x_1, x_2, \ ... \ ... \ , x_n ] \ | \ f( a_1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n) \text{ for all } ( a_1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n) \in A \}\)

... so that we have:

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{I} ( \emptyset ) = \{ f \in k [ x_1, x_2, \ ... \ ... \ , x_n ] \ | \ f( a_1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n) \text{ for all } ( a_1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n) \in \emptyset \}\)But ... since there are no elements in \(\displaystyle \emptyset\), the above definition does not seem to make sense ... ... unless we regard any condition to be fulfilled as satisfied because there are no elements that have to satisfy it ...I hope someone can clarify this issue/problem for me ... ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In case you are still pondering this:

Your last observation that $\mathcal{I}(\emptyset) = k[x_1,\ldots,x_n]$ is correct (and thus your overall argument). Indeed, for any set $S \subseteq \mathbb{A}^n$, we have $\mathcal{I}(S)$ is the set of polynomials in $k[x_1,\ldots,x_n]$ which vanish for every point of $S$. But when $S = \emptyset$, any polynomial will evaluate to zero for every point of $S$ (at no point is this false!), hence $k[x_1,\ldots,x_n] \subseteq \mathcal{I}(\emptyset)$.

But a caution is in order: to prove the Nullstellensatz, or specifically this corollary, we absolutely require that the field $k$ be algebraically closed. Consider $k = \mathbb{R}$, then in $\mathbb{R}[x]$, we have $\mathcal{Z}(x^2+1) = \emptyset$ even though the ideal generated by $x^2+1$ is certainly proper and a radical ideal (maximal, even). To prove just this corollary, even when $n=1$, we fundamentally require algebraic closedness.

Turgul said:
In case you are still pondering this:

Your last observation that $\mathcal{I}(\emptyset) = k[x_1,\ldots,x_n]$ is correct (and thus your overall argument). Indeed, for any set $S \subseteq \mathbb{A}^n$, we have $\mathcal{I}(S)$ is the set of polynomials in $k[x_1,\ldots,x_n]$ which vanish for every point of $S$. But when $S = \emptyset$, any polynomial will evaluate to zero for every point of $S$ (at no point is this false!), hence $k[x_1,\ldots,x_n] \subseteq \mathcal{I}(\emptyset)$.

But a caution is in order: to prove the Nullstellensatz, or specifically this corollary, we absolutely require that the field $k$ be algebraically closed. Consider $k = \mathbb{R}$, then in $\mathbb{R}[x]$, we have $\mathcal{Z}(x^2+1) = \emptyset$ even though the ideal generated by $x^2+1$ is certainly proper and a radical ideal (maximal, even). To prove just this corollary, even when $n=1$, we fundamentally require algebraic closedness.
Thanks Turgul ... I was still pondering this issue, so your post is very welcome and helpful ...

Your post is much appreciated ...

Peter

1. What is Hilbert's Nullstellensatz theorem?

Hilbert's Nullstellensatz theorem is a fundamental result in algebraic geometry that relates the algebraic and geometric properties of polynomial equations. It states that, given a system of polynomial equations over an algebraically closed field, the ideal generated by these polynomials has a finite number of solutions in that field.

2. What is the significance of the consequence of Hilbert's Nullstellensatz?

The consequence of Hilbert's Nullstellensatz, also known as the Weak Nullstellensatz, provides a powerful tool for proving the existence of solutions to systems of polynomial equations. It is a crucial result in many areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, commutative algebra, and number theory.

3. How is Hilbert's Nullstellensatz used in practice?

Hilbert's Nullstellensatz has many applications in mathematics, including solving systems of polynomial equations, proving the existence of solutions to differential equations, and studying algebraic varieties. It is also used in computer science and cryptography for solving problems in coding theory and error-correcting codes.

4. What is the connection between Hilbert's Nullstellensatz and the Nullstellensatz theorem?

The Nullstellensatz theorem is a generalization of Hilbert's Nullstellensatz, which allows for the consideration of ideal solutions over any field, not just algebraically closed fields. It also provides a stronger statement about the relationship between the algebraic and geometric properties of polynomial equations.

5. Where can I learn more about Hilbert's Nullstellensatz and its consequences?

There are many resources available for learning about Hilbert's Nullstellensatz and its consequences, including textbooks such as Dummit & Foote's "Abstract Algebra" and online lectures and notes from universities. Additionally, there are various research papers and articles on the subject that can provide further insight and understanding.