Consequences on a system of ODEs after performing operations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gauss elimination and exponential application on a matrix derived from a system of ODEs. It is noted that the first matrix may have been interpreted incorrectly due to very small values, leading to a singular matrix. The correct result is obtained by exchanging the rows of the matrix. The conversation also brings up topics of algorithmic stability and the concept of a Lie Group and its tangent space.
SeM
Hi, I have derived a matrix from a system of ODE, and the matrix looked pretty bad at first. Then recently, I tried the Gauss elimination, followed by the exponential application on the matrix (e^[A]) and after another Gauss elimination, it turned "down" to the Identity matrix. This is awfully simple, and I may wonder if the system at hand is either completely redundant, or if the procedure of using Gauss elimination on a matrix for a system of ODEs, followed by e^A and then another Gauss elimination is a reasonable and valid approach to solve ODE systems, and does not "make critical information of the ODE vanish along the way"?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not clear what you are doing. What is in the first matrix ? What does Gauss elimination give you when you do that ? Can you give an example ?

BvU said:
Not clear what you are doing. What is in the first matrix ? What does Gauss elimination give you when you do that ? Can you give an example ?
The first matrix is:

A = \begin{bmatrix}
1.0545718E-68 & 1.1271866E-(61i) \\
1 & -1\\
\end{bmatrix}

the first operation in gauss elimination with rref[A] in matlab

that gives:

B = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & -1 \\
0 & 0\\
\end{bmatrix}

the exponential of B gives then:

C= \begin{bmatrix}
2.7183 & 0.3679 \\
1.0000 & 1.0000 \\
\end{bmatrix}

finally gauss elim of C with rref[C] gives the identity matrix

Does that make sense? I suspect MATLAB is rounding exponentially small values to 0, and this is not a correct result.Thanks

Due to the very small first row, the matrix has been interpreted as ##A=\begin{bmatrix}0&0\\1&-1\end{bmatrix}## by the program, which is a singular matrix. It results in ##\exp(A)=\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\1+e^{-1}&e^{-1}\end{bmatrix}##.

Now that you exchanged the rows of ##A## for whatever reason, you have ##B=\begin{bmatrix}1&-1\\0&0\end{bmatrix}## instead, which leads to ##\exp(B)=\begin{bmatrix}e&e^{-1}\\0&1\end{bmatrix}##, if I made no mistakes by exponentiation.

So what do you want to do or say? As it is a numerical error, which led to that result, almost zero instead of equal to zero, we have algorithmic stability as one topic, or the general case of a Lie Group and its tangent space: ##\mathfrak{g} \stackrel{\exp}{\longrightarrow} G## as another.

Likes SeM
Thanks, I prefer to rectify the numerical error! Cheers

What are the basic operations that can be performed on a system of ODEs?

The basic operations that can be performed on a system of ODEs are addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and substitution.

How do these operations affect the solution of the system of ODEs?

The operations can change the form of the system of ODEs, and therefore, can affect the solution. For example, addition or subtraction of two equations can eliminate variables and reduce the system to a simpler form.

Can performing these operations lead to an incorrect solution?

Yes, performing these operations can lead to an incorrect solution if they are not applied correctly. It is important to ensure that the operations are carried out accurately and consistently throughout the system of ODEs.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when performing operations on a system of ODEs?

Yes, there are limitations and restrictions when performing operations on a system of ODEs. For example, division by zero is not allowed and can lead to undefined solutions. It is important to identify and avoid such limitations when working with a system of ODEs.

Can the order of operations affect the solution of the system of ODEs?

Yes, the order of operations can affect the solution of the system of ODEs. It is important to follow the correct order of operations, such as performing multiplication and division before addition and subtraction, to ensure an accurate solution.