Conservation of energy - olympiad problem

In summary, the elastic energy of a spherical rubber balloon is determined by the stretching and can be expressed by the equation U=4\Pi{r_0}^2kRT(2{\lambda}^2+\frac{1}{\lambda^4}-3). The change in pressure, ΔP, can be calculated using the equation dW=dU, which takes into account the force required to expand the balloon and is equal to dU/dr. This is different from F=-dU/dr, which is a mathematical representation and not the actual elastic force.
jpas
When a rubber balloon of spherical shape with un-stretched radius 0 r is inflated to a sphere of radius r ( ≥ r0 ), the balloon surface contains extra elastic energy due to the stretching. In a simplistic theory, the elastic energy at constant temperature T can be expressed by[tex] U= 4\Pi {r_0}^2kRT(2 {\lambda}^2+\frac{1}{\lambda^4}-3) [/tex]

(c) Express ΔP in terms of parameters given in Eq. (2.2), and sketch ΔP as a function of λ = [tex]\frac {r}{r_0}[/tex]In the solution the problem is solved calculating the work, dW, and then making it equal to

[tex]\frac {dU}{dr}.dr[/tex]

But this isn't true. The true equation is

dW=-dU.

Are the solutions wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think dW=-dU? :smile:

jpas said:
But this isn't true. The true equation is

dW=-dU.
Careful. While the force associated with the potential--in this case an elastic force--is given by F = - dU/dr, the change in potential energy is the work done against this force.

Hi,

I think I got it. I'm calculating the force associated with the pressure difference, not the force associated with the potential. These have different directions. Then, because

[tex] F_{elastic}=-\frac{dU}{dr}[/tex] (hooke's law)

[tex] \Delta P A = \frac{dU}{dr} [/tex]

Is that it?

That's right. The force needed to expand the balloon is equal and opposite to the elastic force.

Doc Al said:
That's right. The force needed to expand the balloon is equal and opposite to the elastic force.

I think we need to clarify "elastic force" here a bit. The "elastic force" we derive from F=-dU/dr is a mathematical quantity equal to -delta(P)*A, while the actual elastic force is tangent to the surface. For that reason, I think we should avoid using F=-dU/dr and instead, use the energy conservation equation dW=dU.

hikaru1221 said:
I think we need to clarify "elastic force" here a bit. The "elastic force" we derive from F=-dU/dr is a mathematical quantity equal to -delta(P)*A, while the actual elastic force is tangent to the surface.
Good point. My point was that the force required to expand the balloon will equal dU/dr, not -dU/dr.
For that reason, I think we should avoid using F=-dU/dr and instead, use the energy conservation equation dW=dU.
My point was that dW equals (dU/dr)dr , not (-dU/dr)dr. (Equivalent to what you're saying, I think.)

Doc Al said:
My point was that dW equals (dU/dr)dr , not (-dU/dr)dr. (Equivalent to what you're saying, I think.)

Yes, they're equivalent; both leads to the same result. I just wanted to advise the OP not choose the harder path as it's more complicated to explain the term "elastic force", though your explanation goes to the root.

Related to Conservation of energy - olympiad problem

What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can only be transformed from one form to another.

How is the conservation of energy related to olympiad problems?

Olympiad problems often involve scenarios where energy is transferred or transformed, and the principle of conservation of energy can be applied to solve these problems.

What is the formula for calculating the conservation of energy?

The formula for calculating conservation of energy is: Energy In = Energy Out, or the sum of all the energies in a system must equal the sum of all the energies out of the system.

What are some real-life examples of conservation of energy?

Some real-life examples of conservation of energy include a swinging pendulum, a rollercoaster, and a car accelerating and decelerating.

How is the conservation of energy related to the laws of thermodynamics?

The conservation of energy is closely related to the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. It is also related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system will never decrease over time.