Conservation of Momentum versus Conservation of Velocity

paulfreda
TL;DR Summary
Inertia = Conservation of Velocity
I have often wondered why Inertia , Newton's 1st Law, is not simply called
Conservation of Velocity
Can anyone give me a reason why it should NOT be called
Conservation of Velocity ???

Conservation of Energy is valid in the absence of External Forces.
Conservation of Momentum is valid in the absence of External Forces.
Velocity is constant in the absence of External Forces too ! !

It seems so obvious to me.
What am I missing ???

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
paulfreda said:
Conservation of velocity is equivalent to conservation of momentum (p = mv) provided that the mass doesn't change.

Consider a very light ball striking a very massive wall initially at rest. The sum of the momenta is unchanged; the sum of the velocities is very different - very nearly minus what it started as.

Velocity is not a conserved quantity in collisions.

Likes vanhees71 and A.T.
paulfreda said:
TL;DR Summary: Inertia = Conservation of Velocity

I have often wondered why Inertia , Newton's 1st Law, is not simply called
Conservation of Velocity
Can anyone give me a reason why it should NOT be called
Conservation of Velocity ???

What am I missing ???

Thanks for your thoughts
Momentum is conserved when the net external force on a system is 0 N during a collision (or some other happenstance.)

Energy is conserved when there is no net non-conservative work done on the system during a change in state of some kind.

Yes, Newton's 1st does describe the notion of what happens to the velocity of an object when the net external force on it is 0 N. But the idea of Newton's 1st is to define what "inertia" is (or, depending on your Philosophy, how to define if a net force is acting on an object. The two concepts are inextricably linked at this level.) It really has nothing to do about whether the velocity of an object stays the same during some kind of process, which is what a conservation law would usually refer to.

-Dan

Likes vanhees71
paulfreda said:

What am I missing ???

Thanks for your thoughts
Energy and momentum are conserved for any system of particles (in the absence of external forces). The "conservation of velocity" applies to the centre of mass - although it's usually exemplified by the existence of a "zero momentum" or "centre of momentum/mass" frame. Note that in the CoM frame, the total momentum is zero, but the sum of the particle velocities may not be zero.

Newton's laws extend beyond the kinematics of a single particle.

Likes topsquark
paulfreda said:
Can anyone give me a reason why it should NOT be called Conservation of Velocity ???
Mainly because of what the other "conservation laws" represent: The sum of all momenta / energies is always conserved for an isolated system, no mater how its parts exchange them between each other. This is not the case for the sum of all velocities, so it would be confusing to use the same name.

Likes topsquark and Ibix
topsquark said:
Momentum is conserved when the net external force on a system is 0 N during a collision (or some other happenstance.)

Energy is conserved when there is no net non-conservative work done on the system during a change in state of some kind.

Yes, Newton's 1st does describe the notion of what happens to the velocity of an object when the net external force on it is 0 N. But the idea of Newton's 1st is to define what "inertia" is (or, depending on your Philosophy, how to define if a net force is acting on an object. The two concepts are inextricably linked at this level.) It really has nothing to do about whether the velocity of an object stays the same during some kind of process, which is what a conservation law would usually refer to.

-Dan
I think Newton 1, expressed in modern terms, is the postulate that there exists a global inertial frame of reference, which implies that there exist infinitely many inertial frames of reference, because any frame moving with constant velocity relative to an inertial frame is itself an inertial frame. That's the invariance of Newtonian spacetime under Galilei boosts. From a Noetherian point of view the corresponding conservation law for closed mechanical systems (i.e., systems, where all constituents are considered and all forces are interaction forces between the constituents) the corresponding conserved quantity is the center-of-mass velocity.

Likes topsquark

1. What is the difference between conservation of momentum and conservation of velocity?

Conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision, while conservation of velocity states that the velocity of an object remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, momentum is conserved in collisions, while velocity is constant in the absence of external forces.

2. How are conservation of momentum and conservation of velocity related?

Conservation of momentum and conservation of velocity are related in that momentum is a product of mass and velocity. When momentum is conserved in a collision, the velocities of the objects involved may change to maintain the total momentum of the system. However, conservation of velocity specifically refers to the constant velocity of an object in the absence of external forces.

3. Can conservation of momentum be violated while conservation of velocity is maintained?

No, conservation of momentum and conservation of velocity are interconnected principles in physics. If conservation of momentum is violated in a collision, it means that external forces were at play and the velocity of the objects involved would have changed. Therefore, both conservation laws must be maintained in a closed system.

4. Are conservation of momentum and conservation of velocity applicable in all situations?

Conservation of momentum and conservation of velocity are fundamental principles in classical mechanics and are applicable in most situations involving collisions and interactions between objects. However, in scenarios involving relativistic speeds or quantum mechanics, these conservation laws may need to be modified or replaced by more advanced principles.

5. How do conservation of momentum and conservation of velocity affect real-world applications?

Conservation of momentum and conservation of velocity play crucial roles in various real-world applications such as car crashes, sports collisions, and rocket propulsion. Understanding and applying these principles help engineers design safer vehicles, optimize sporting equipment, and improve the efficiency of propulsion systems.