Consider a surface S on which a scalar field f is defined

In summary, a surface S on which a scalar field f is defined means that there is a function that assigns a scalar value to every point on the surface, such as temperature on a sphere. This is a physical description, and it is appreciated in this context.
coverband
"Consider a surface S on which a scalar field f is defined"

what does "on which is defined" mean

phys descript answers appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

what does "on which is defined" mean

phys descript answers appreciated!

Suppose I have a surface parametrized by (x,y). Then I have a scalar field f(x,y), for example f(x,y) = x + y. Then I have a surface S on which a scalar field f is defined. For example defining the temperature at every point on a sphere.

It means there is a function defined which, to every point of the surface, assigns a scalar (number).

Double post! I am going to combine the two.

thanks

Related to Consider a surface S on which a scalar field f is defined

1. What is a scalar field?

A scalar field is a mathematical function that assigns a scalar value to every point in a given space. In other words, it is a quantity that has a magnitude, but not a direction.

2. How is a scalar field defined on a surface?

A scalar field is defined on a surface by assigning a scalar value to each point on the surface. This can be done using a mathematical equation or by taking measurements at different points on the surface.

3. What is the significance of considering a surface for a scalar field?

Considering a surface for a scalar field allows us to understand how the scalar values change across the surface. This can provide insights into the behavior of the scalar field and how it interacts with the surface.

4. What types of surfaces can a scalar field be defined on?

A scalar field can be defined on any type of surface, including flat surfaces, curved surfaces, and even abstract surfaces in higher dimensions. The surface just needs to have a defined set of points for the scalar field to be defined on.

5. How is a scalar field different from a vector field?

A scalar field assigns a single value to each point in space, while a vector field assigns a vector (which has magnitude and direction) to each point. Additionally, scalar fields are used to describe quantities such as temperature or pressure, while vector fields are used to describe physical quantities such as velocity or force.