Constraints in Rotation Matrix

In summary, for rigid body rotation in 3D space, only 3 parameters are needed to define a rotation matrix. This is because the orthogonality condition and determinant constraint do not reduce the dimension of the space. Therefore, the rotation matrix has 6 constraints and 3 parameters, with Euler angles being the most commonly used.
dontknow
In Rigid body rotation, we need only 3 parameters to make a body rotate in any orientation. So to define a rotation matrix in 3d space we only need 3 parameters and we must have 6 constraint equation (6+3=9 no of elements in rotation matrix)

My doubt is if orthogonality conditions R.Transpose(R)=I must be satisfied for rotation matrix (no of constraints=6) and the determinant should be equal to +1 which makes it total 7 constraints, shouldn't be there only two parameters left( instead of 3). Let me know if I have to put some more details.
Refer: Pg no 138 from Goldstein

Physics news on Phys.org
dontknow said:
In Rigid body rotation, we need only 3 parameters to make a body rotate in any orientation. So to define a rotation matrix in 3d space we only need 3 parameters and we must have 6 constraint equation (6+3=9 no of elements in rotation matrix)

My doubt is if orthogonality conditions R.Transpose(R)=I must be satisfied for rotation matrix (no of constraints=6) and the determinant should be equal to +1 which makes it total 7 constraints, shouldn't be there only two parameters left( instead of 3). Let me know if I have to put some more details.
Refer: Pg no 138 from Goldstein
The constraint that ##\det R = 1## does not reduce the dimension of the space. Both ##O(3)## and ##SO(3)## are three-dimensional. See here, for example:

http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/~yangob/groups.pdf

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
You restrict yourself to the part of the orthogonal group in 3D that is continuously connected to the identity. Then you have only the constraint ##\hat{O}^{\text{T}} \hat{O}=\hat{1}##, because that implies that you necessarily have ##\mathrm{det} \hat{O} \in \{-1,1 \}##. So the continuously connected part of O(3) is SO(3). So you have 6 constraints for 9 real matrix elements and thus 3 parameters. For rigid-body theory the usual choice are Euler angles.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space. It is a square matrix that represents a rotation transformation in a coordinate system.

2. What are constraints in rotation matrix?

Constraints in rotation matrix refer to the limitations or conditions that must be satisfied in order for a rotation matrix to accurately describe the orientation of an object. These constraints include orthogonality, determinant of 1, and the right-hand rule.

3. How do constraints affect the rotation matrix?

The constraints in rotation matrix ensure that the matrix accurately represents the orientation of an object. If these constraints are not met, the resulting matrix may not accurately describe the rotation of the object.

4. Can a rotation matrix have more than one set of constraints?

No, a rotation matrix can only have one set of constraints. The three constraints (orthogonality, determinant of 1, and right-hand rule) are interdependent and must all be satisfied for the matrix to accurately describe the rotation of an object.

5. How are constraints in rotation matrix used in real-life applications?

Constraints in rotation matrix are used in various fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and aerospace engineering. They are essential for accurately representing the orientation of objects and are used in tasks such as 3D modeling, animation, and control systems for robots and spacecraft.