Constructing Trigonometric Identities: A Geometric Approach for Solving ODEs

• Thread starter e^(i Pi)+1=0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive Trig
In summary, constructing trigonometric identities involves using geometric approaches to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs). This method utilizes the properties of triangles and circles to manipulate equations and find solutions. By visualizing the relationships between angles and sides, trigonometric identities can be derived and applied to solve complex ODEs. This geometric approach provides a more intuitive and visual understanding of trigonometry, making it a useful tool in solving mathematical problems.
e^(i Pi)+1=0
Can't figure out how they're constructed. I'm guessing it would be geometric in nature. It would be nice to be able to derive at least a few of the ones I inevitably forget through disuse.

Math level: ordinary differential equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
The trig IDs are geometric - yes.
Look for the trig function definitions that use the unit circle:
http://www.haverford.edu/physics/MathAppendices/Trig_Ident.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this is relevant but can anyone tell me what the calculator does when you press inverse sin cos or tan when you take a value? Say you did inverse cos 1/2, it gives you 60 degrees. You can see it on a triangle if you drew cos .. = A/H = 1/2 But as an equation I can't seem to rearrange it to get that...Does this make sense? Or am I just not using my head

Edit:
A thought, is the calculator just doing some algorithm to get the answer close to the value, not actually finding the value? If so does anyone know what the algorithm is? Like guessing a value that fits.

@tim9000: depends on the calculator - old pocket calculators just used lookup tables and I think that's what most of the math software does these days. You can still buy the dead-tree version of these tables.

Re: main question - I found an old draft I wrote ages ago:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/149266846/Math-Bits
... its got typos and stuff but should be readable. In particular, see fig.3 on p6.
Trig functions are defined in terms of the ratios on the triangle so stuff like ##\cos\theta = A/H## is a definition ... the LHS is a special way of writing the RHS.

Thanks!
Interesting link

Also, you can derive them from simply trying to solve certain trig problems without using them. Although this approach would not function as a proper derivation, and you would have to try a lot of problems.

Simon,
It's funny, lately I've watched quite a few Richard Stallman videos and so it's a coincidence to see your article on Free and open source; also your doc on convincing people to choose freedom over confinement. I think Ted Neslon would agree with you about temporary fixs' becoming perminant.

I'm thinking about making a cluster computer out of 4 raspberry PIs but I've only ever programmed in basic, C and C++ so I don't know if its a good idea.

What do you mean lookup tables?

Yes most calculators give approximate answers two common methods are equal error polynomials series and cordic. For rough answers by hand I use multiples of 15° and 18° to get within 3°.

lurflurf said:
What do you mean lookup tables?

I imagine he means like a data sheet for the properties of a materials...but not that, along those lines.

Ok, I'll look into "equal error polynomials series and cordic" cheers.

Yeah - I mean a table of data and an algorithm used to look up the answers on them.
http://www.pearsoned.co.nz/student/primary/product-listing-page/product-details-page/?isbn=9780868636313

The forward calculation is easy - so you do it for lots of angles and put them in a table. The inverse problem is then a matter of just running a finger down the entries in the table. You exploit the properties of the trig functions to make the tables smaller. With computers, you can store very big tables and still look up entries very quickly.

Note:
... cluster computing is fun, but a topic for another thread.
... Software freedom is important to scientific and academic work - also a topic for another thread ;)

Simon Bridge said:
Yeah - I mean a table of data and an algorithm used to look up the answers on them.
http://www.pearsoned.co.nz/student/primary/product-listing-page/product-details-page/?isbn=9780868636313

Note:
... cluster computing is fun, but a topic for another thread.
... Software freedom is important to scientific and academic work - also a topic for another thread ;)

If it's published in NZ why is it called 'Statistical and MATH tables'? :P obviously not concentrating on the domestic market (unless they speak more like americans). If I end up starting a thread about either, that I think is of interest I'll send you a link.
Some would say intellectual property is a contradiction in terms, they may be correct.

Last edited:
heh heh - it's the Eton stat and math tables - Eton is in the UK ;D
Actually - wee cultural lesson here: the subject gets abbreviated to "maths" but objects associated with the subject are "math-" whatever. NZ relies on exports so tends to be very globally oriented. Except when it comes to rugby.

Just noticing that OP has yet to respond .. feedback time.

Related to Constructing Trigonometric Identities: A Geometric Approach for Solving ODEs

1. What is the purpose of deriving trigonometric identities?

Deriving trigonometric identities is important because it allows us to simplify and manipulate complex trigonometric expressions. This makes solving equations and proving mathematical statements much easier.

2. How do I start deriving a trigonometric identity?

The first step in deriving a trigonometric identity is to understand the basic trigonometric functions and their corresponding identities. This includes the sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant functions. Once you have a strong understanding of these functions, you can begin manipulating them using algebraic techniques.

3. What are some common techniques for deriving trigonometric identities?

One common technique for deriving trigonometric identities is using the properties of triangles and the unit circle. Another technique is using the fundamental trigonometric identities, which involve expressing one trigonometric function in terms of another. Additionally, factoring, simplifying, and using algebraic identities can also be helpful in deriving trigonometric identities.

4. How can I check if my derived trigonometric identity is correct?

To check if your derived trigonometric identity is correct, you can substitute different values for the variables and see if both sides of the equation evaluate to the same value. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they match up.

5. Are there any tips for remembering trigonometric identities?

One helpful tip for remembering trigonometric identities is to practice regularly. The more you use and manipulate these identities, the easier they will become to remember. Additionally, creating flashcards or using mnemonic devices can also be useful in memorizing these identities.