Continuity and Open Sets .... Sohrab, Theorem 4.3.4 .... ....

In summary: O') \supseteq S \cap O'' from our previous step, we have f^{-1}(O') = S \cap O.I hope this helps to clarify the statement and its proof. Let me know if you have any further questions. In summary, the statement is true because of the definition of continuity and by construction of the open set O.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 4: Topology of [FONT=MathJax_AMS]R[/FONT] and Continuity ... ...

I need help in order to fully understand the proof of Theorem 4.3.4 ... ... Theorem 4.3.4 and its proof read as follows:

View attachment 9108

In the above proof by Sohrab we read the following:

" ... ... Therefore \(\displaystyle f^{ -1 } (O') = S \cap O\) for some open set \(\displaystyle O\) ... ... "Can someone please explain why the above quoted statement is true ... -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------***EDIT *** ... ... My thoughts on this matter so far ...

Since \(\displaystyle f\) is continuous at \(\displaystyle x_0\) we can find \(\displaystyle \delta\) such that

\(\displaystyle f( S \cap B_\delta ( x_0 ) ) \subseteq B_\epsilon ( f(x_0) ) \subseteq O'\) Now ... take inverse image under \(\displaystyle f\) of the above relationship (is this a legitimate move?)then we have ... \(\displaystyle S \cap B_\delta ( x_0 ) \subseteq f^{ -1 } ( B_\epsilon ( f(x_0) ) ) \subseteq f^{ -1 } ( O' )\)So that ... if we put the open set \(\displaystyle B_\delta ( x_0 )\) equal to \(\displaystyle O''\) then we get\(\displaystyle f^{ -1 } ( O' ) \supseteq S \cap O''\) ...But now ... how do we find \(\displaystyle O\) such that \(\displaystyle f^{ -1 } ( O' ) = S \cap O\) ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Sohrab - Theorem 4.3.4 ... .png
    Sohrab - Theorem 4.3.4 ... .png
    23.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Peter,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with understanding Theorem 4.3.4 in Sohrab's book. I will do my best to explain the statement and prove its validity.

First, let's define some terms for clarity:
- f: a continuous function at x_0
- O': an open set containing f(x_0)
- S: the set on which f is defined
- B_\delta(x_0): the open ball centered at x_0 with radius \delta
- B_\epsilon(f(x_0)): the open ball centered at f(x_0) with radius \epsilon
- f^{-1}(A): the inverse image of set A under function f

Now, the statement in question is: f^{-1}(O') = S \cap O for some open set O. To prove this, we need to show that f^{-1}(O') is equal to the intersection of S and some open set O.

The key here is to use the definition of continuity. Since f is continuous at x_0, we can find a \delta such that f(S \cap B_\delta(x_0)) \subseteq B_\epsilon(f(x_0)) \subseteq O'. This means that for any point in the set S \cap B_\delta(x_0), the corresponding point in the range of f will be contained in the open ball B_\epsilon(f(x_0)), which is a subset of O'.

Now, let's take the inverse image of this statement under f. This means that for any point in the set f^{-1}(O'), the corresponding point in the domain of f will be contained in the set S \cap B_\delta(x_0). In other words, f^{-1}(O') \subseteq S \cap B_\delta(x_0).

Next, we can define O'' = B_\delta(x_0) as an open set. This means that f^{-1}(O') \subseteq S \cap O''. But we want to show that f^{-1}(O') = S \cap O for some open set O. To do this, we can define O = O'' \cup (S \cap O'). This is an open set because it is the union of two open sets. Now, we can see that f^{-1}(O') \subseteq S \cap O, and since we already know that f^{-1}(

1. What is continuity?

Continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function. A function is considered continuous if it can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper, meaning that there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph.

2. How is continuity related to open sets?

In mathematics, open sets are sets that do not include their boundary points. Continuity is closely related to open sets because a function is continuous if and only if the preimage of an open set is open.

3. What is Theorem 4.3.4 in Sohrab's book?

Theorem 4.3.4 in Sohrab's book is a theorem that states that a function is continuous if and only if the preimage of every open set is open.

4. How is Theorem 4.3.4 used in mathematics?

Theorem 4.3.4 is a fundamental theorem in mathematics that is used to prove the continuity of functions. It is also used in various applications, such as in topology and analysis, to study the properties of continuous functions.

5. Can you provide an example of Theorem 4.3.4 in action?

Sure, let's consider the function f(x) = 2x, which is defined on the real numbers. According to Theorem 4.3.4, this function is continuous because the preimage of any open set in the range of f(x) is an open set in the domain of x. For example, if we take the open set (1, 3) in the range of f(x), its preimage is the open set (0.5, 1.5) in the domain of x, which is also an open set. Therefore, f(x) is continuous.