Continuity in Integrals and Antiderivatives

In summary: Yes, a function has a derivative(implies that it is conti/defined) Then it's anti derivative (g (x)) is also continuous there.
andyrk
I was a bit confused by the definition of integrals (both definite and indefinite) and anti-derivatives. The definition for indefinite integrals is-

The indefinite integral of a function x with respect to f(x) is another function g(x) whose derivative is f(x).
i.e. g'(x) = f(x) ⇒ Indefinite Integral of f(x) is g(x)
In mathematical notation we write- ∫f(x) dx = g(x) + C if and only if g'(x) = f(x) (as d/dx(g(x)+C) = f(x)

And the definition of definite integral is-

Let f(x) be continuous on [a,b]. If G(x) is continuous on [a,b] and G'(x)=f(x) for all x
char32.png
(a,b)
, then G is called an anti-derivative of f.

We can construct anti-derivatives by integrating. The function

F(x)= [itex] \int_a^x f(t) dt [/itex]
is an anti-derivative for f since it can be shown that F(x) constructed in this way is continuous on [a,b] and F'(x) = f(x) for all x
char32.png
(a,b)
My question is that, firstly, in the definition of an indefinite integral, how can we be sure that g(x) would have to be continuous ∀ x ∈ R? And in the definition of a definite integral, how can we be sure that g(x) would have to be continuous for x ∈ (a,b)?

Just because g'(x) = f(x), is this enough to say that g(x) is a continuous function for ∀ x ∈ R and x ∈ (a,b) respectively in the 2 definitions? g'(x) exists means g(x) is a continuous function. But we don't know whether g'(x) exists ∀ x ∈ R. Similarly, [itex] \int_a^x f(t) dt [/itex] is integral in the interval (a,b). So how can we be certain that its anti-derivative would also be valid for only the interval (a,b)? Is this the definition of the indefinite integral that we can't question as to why would the -derivative be valid for only the interval (a,b)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if this answers the question. But in the hypotheses step. You are given that g is a differentiable function. If a function has a derivative at some point (the limit from the left and right exist and is defined at that point) Then the derivative of that function implies that it's anti derivative is also continuous. Note that the converse is not always true.

What us also cool about this defintiom. Is that a bounded piece wise function that is continuous also follows the fundamental theorem of calculus.

It actually makes more sense if you a problem from that section and compute it using the 1st fundamental theorem of calculus. Until I did it this way and analyze d my solution I finally understoodmit.

Okay. I had a new question though. It is- If f(x) is continuous in (a,b) and g'(x) = f(x), doesn't this imply that g(x) is also continuous in (a,b) automatically?

Yes, because g(x) even has a continuous derivative everywhere in (a,b).

Last edited:
andyrk said:
Okay. I had a new question though. It is- If f(x) is continuous in (a,b) and g'(x) = f(x), doesn't this imply that g(x) is also continuous in (a,b) automatically?

Infact, this can be modified a little bit to - If f(x) is defined in (a,b) and g'(x) = f(x), doesn't this imply that g(x) is also continuous in (a,b) automatically?

Am I right?

Go back to the section in your book on what it means for a function to be differentialable. Are you good at following proofs? To understand this concept you have to understand what a differential is, mean value theorem, etc.

Yes a function has a derivative(implies that it is conti/defined) Then it's anti derivative (g (x)) is also continuous there. It is not true however to say if a function is continuous it has a derivative at that point. A classic example would be y=|x| it fails to have a derivative at x=0.

MidgetDwarf said:
Go back to the section in your book on what it means for a function to be differentialable. Are you good at following proofs? To understand this concept you have to understand what a differential is, mean value theorem, etc.

Yes a function has a derivative(implies that it is conti/defined) Then it's anti derivative (g (x)) is also continuous there. It is not true however to say if a function is continuous it has a derivative at that point. A classic example would be y=|x| it fails to have a derivative at x=0.

Yup. So what I was asking was that for f(x), just being defined in a domain is enough and that f(x) need not be continuous in that domain for g(x) to be continuous, right? [Here f(x) = g'(x) just to remove confusions, if any]

f(x) is automatically continuous on (a,b) if f'(x) exists everywhere on (a,b).

You can think of it like this maybe: That ##f'(c)## exists means that there is a linear function that is a good approximation to f(x) around c. And linear functions always are continuous.

Ah, you weren't asking that. Yes, the derivative g'(x) does not have to be continuous for g(x) to be continuous.

Last edited:
DarthMatter said:
f(x) is automatically continuous on (a,b) if f'(x) exists everywhere on (a,b).

You can think of it like this maybe: That ##f'(c)## exists means that there is a linear function that is a good approximation to f(x) around c. And linear functions always are continuous.

Ah, you weren't asking that. Yes, the derivative g'(x) does not have to be continuous for g(x) to be continuous.

Sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant by "good approximation to f(x) around c"
Are you saying that if ##f'(c)## exists it means that a slope/tangent (i.e. a linear function) at x = c exists because of LHD (Left Hand Derivative)= RHD (Right Hand Derivative) at x = c? And so both of these limits cover many points around x = c and so the points covered around x = c are sufficient enough (good approximation) for f to be called continuous at c?

Last edited:
If f(x) is differentiable at c, the linear function ##l(x)=f(c)+f'(c)\cdot (x-c)## is an approximation to f(x), but only useful if ##|(x-c)|## does not get too big.

I just edited post #10 a moment ago. Please have a look at it again. :)

andyrk said:
Sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant by "good approximation to f(x) around c"
Are you saying that if ##f'(c)## exists it means that a slope/tangent (i.e. a linear function) at x = c exists because of LHD (Left Hand Derivative)= RHD (Right Hand Derivative) at x = c? And so both of these limits cover many points around x = c and so the points covered around x = c are sufficient enough (good approximation) for f to be called continuous at c?

That's good intuition, but I will try not to commit any more handwavery. :) The linear approximation given by the function ##l(x)## above does not have to actually cover many points, but the function values will gather very close to the line around ##x=c##. That's the way I think about it.

1. What is continuity in integrals and antiderivatives?

Continuity in integrals and antiderivatives refers to the idea that the function being integrated or differentiated must be continuous in order for the resulting integral or antiderivative to exist. In other words, there can be no "breaks" or discontinuities in the function.

2. Why is continuity important in integrals and antiderivatives?

Continuity is important because it ensures that the resulting integral or antiderivative is accurate and well-defined. If a function is not continuous, the integral or antiderivative may not exist or may be incorrect.

3. How can you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it has no breaks or jumps in its graph. This can be determined by looking at the graph of the function or by checking the limit of the function as it approaches a certain point. If the limit exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point, the function is continuous.

4. Can a function be continuous at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points and not others. This is known as a piecewise continuous function. In this case, the function may have breaks or jumps at certain points, but is still considered continuous overall.

5. How does continuity affect the calculation of integrals and antiderivatives?

Continuity is essential for the calculation of integrals and antiderivatives. If a function is not continuous, the integral or antiderivative may not exist. Additionally, if a function has discontinuities, special techniques may need to be used to accurately calculate the integral or antiderivative.