Continuous Stirring While in Oven

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of stir/heat plates and magnetic stir bars to heat compounds in a lab. However, due to random fluctuations and the need for a specific temperature range, an oven is desired. The challenge is finding a way to stir the solution while in the oven without damaging the stir/heat plate. The suggestion is to either use a heating mantle or an oil bath on a temperature-controlled stir/heat plate, or to use a paddle operated by two electromagnets.
JeweliaHeart
In the lab where I work, we usually use stir/heat plates along with magnetic stir bars to heat our compounds simultaneously. However, in terms of achieving a specific temperature range, the stir/heat plates are not ideally suited due to random fluctuations from being open to the air.

Therefore I want to use an oven to heat my solution to 125 degrees Celsius and also stir it at the same time.

The problem is I'm not sure how to to do this as stir/heat plate can not be in an oven and withstand the high temp. environment. I considered placing magnets on the perimeter of the reacting flask but realized the stir bar would eventually come to equilibrium.

Any ideas on how this can be done with general laboratory equipment?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The standard way we do this in chemistry labs is to either use a heating mantle or setup an oil bath on a temperature-controlled stir/heat plate, then to place your reaction flask into that oil bath.

http://chem.chem.rochester.edu/~nvd/pages/tips.php?page=heating_and_cooling

Last edited:
How about a paddle operated by 2 electromagnets.

What is continuous stirring while in oven?

Continuous stirring while in oven refers to the process of regularly mixing or agitating food or substances while they are being cooked in an oven. This is typically done to evenly distribute heat and prevent burning or sticking.

Why is continuous stirring important while in oven?

Continuous stirring helps to ensure that food or substances are evenly cooked by distributing heat throughout the cooking process. It also helps to prevent burning or sticking, resulting in more evenly cooked and flavorful dishes.

What types of dishes or substances benefit from continuous stirring while in oven?

Continuous stirring is particularly beneficial for dishes that require a long cooking time, such as soups, stews, and casseroles. It is also useful for cooking delicate ingredients, such as custards or sauces, to prevent them from burning or curdling.

How often should you stir while cooking in the oven?

The frequency of stirring while cooking in the oven depends on the specific dish and cooking method. As a general rule, it is recommended to stir every 15-20 minutes, or as directed in the recipe. However, this may vary depending on the thickness and density of the dish being cooked.

Are there any alternatives to continuous stirring while in oven?

If continuous stirring is not feasible or desired, there are a few alternatives that can help achieve similar results. One option is to rotate the dish in the oven to ensure even cooking. Another is to use a convection oven, which circulates hot air to help distribute heat more evenly. Additionally, using a covered dish or foil can help trap steam and moisture, resulting in a more evenly cooked dish.